Chapter 6

Coming into the office after my trip was nearly more relaxing than spending time with my family. Insert something about her birthday and time with her family here.
"Ms. Schneider!"
I rolled my eyes, speak of the devil.
"Yes?"
"Get a room at The Cavendish in London for the 10th of May, for the interview with George Oscar. Also make reservations for that dinner with the investors for next week..."
He went on and on. Where did he suddenly get all these dates from?
"And Ms. Schneider?"
"Yes, Sir?"
"You can go when you are done with that."
I nodded with a weak smile. I would have to stay late, so I could get finished with all of that. So much for his nice act.
The reservation for the interview was made very quickly, now I just had to inform the management of one of the most wanted actors this generation has seen. I dialled the number given to me by Mr Pearson and waited while twirling a strand of my hair between my fingers.
"Sophie Carter, how can I help you?" Her snarling voice made shivers run down my back.
"Ms. Carter, good afternoon. This is Alexandra Schneider from Mr. Pearson's office, LP Magazine. I'm calling because of the interview on May 10th."
I heard paper rustling in the background.
"I'm sorry Ms. Schneider, I don't have an interview with LP Magazine scheduled in for Mr. Oscar for that day."
My jaw dropped. "I called last week about it and cleared that date with you. There must be a mix up somewhere. Would you mind checking again?"
I tried my best to not immediately get annoyed with her and stay polite. After all, I wanted something from her.
"Let me check again. Maybe my secretary got this messed up."
She put me on hold. Pain shot through my lip when my teeth broke through the dry skin and I released it from my bite. I had to get this under control.
"Ms. Schneider?"
"Yes?"
"Everything is in order. My secretary didn't write it in my calendar. I am sorry for the confusion. This shouldn't happen again. She is already packing her things. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
My eyes went wide. Did she just fire someone for forgetting a date? Swallowing hard I got myself together.
"No, everything is in order."
After making sure the security set up and the room were all planned out, I ended the call and leaned back in my office chair. These events were a pain in the butt.

I never liked Monday mornings. Everyone around you was in a rush and in a bad mood. The tube was especially jammed today and not even the fresh May breeze could cool the air in the tube stations.
I got into the office and straightened my blouse before I went to my desk and gathered my files for the big meeting that would start in ten minutes. It was the weekly pitch meeting where the new issue was discussed, new articles were planned and changes were made where they had to be made.
"Alex, hi." Camilla appeared at my desk.
"Oh, you are already here too? What a surprise."
I smiled at her, letting her know that I was referring to her being late to our weekly meetings more than occasionally.
"Ha ha. Very funny. I had to prepare some things before we get started. There is so much going on this week. I have to hold and write two interviews and organise one shoot. I really can't wait for everyone to come back from leave or wherever they are. How does Mr. Pearson think that I can do all of that in one week?"
I got up and wrapped my arm around her shoulder.
"Maybe because you are an amazing journalist and handle every task he gives you with such grace."
Camilla pulled her perfectly shaped eyebrows together. "Why are you such a pain this morning?"
I laughed and walked towards the lifts to get down to the conference room where our meeting would be held. Camilla was a step behind me and made me jump when she suddenly cat-whistled.
"That skirt is amazing. It makes your legs look great. You should wear it more often." She gave me a big smile and pressed the button for the third floor.
I rolled my eyes but didn't say anything.
"Stop rolling your eyes at me, young lady."
I was still laughing when I got out of the lift and went to my boss to give him his already prepared files.
We were deep into the meeting, well I took notes, the others were in the meeting, when my bosses phone rang. His eyes formed slits and I quickly took the call for him, he hated interruptions at the meeting.
"Alexandra Schneider, Mr. Pearson's secretary. How may I help you?"
"Ms. Schneider, this is Rose's husband. She asked me to call to let you know that she can't come into work for the next six weeks. We got into a minor car accident and she broke both her arms. She is really sorry for the inconvenience."
Oh shit, that was bad timing.
"Oh no, let Rose know that I hope for her to get well as soon as possible. Thank you for calling in. Have a nice day anyways."
"You too Ms. Schneider."
I put the phone down and leaned over to Mr. Pearson.
"Sir, we have a problem. Rose got into an accident. She won't be able to do the interview with Mr. Oscar on Friday."
"What?"
Everyone fell silent around us.
"She broke both her arms; it is impossible for her to do anything for the next few weeks."
Mr. Pearson sighed and scratched Rose's name of his list.
"Okay, listen up people. Someone needs to cover for Rose."
Awkward silence fell over the table. You could physically feel the panic in everyone. No one needed more work right now.
"John?"
Mr. Pearson glared at John.
"I'm sorry Sir, but I already have the interview with the major and the report on the increasing public transport prices."
My boss rolled his eyes.
"Camilla? What about you?"
My friend shifted uncomfortably in her chair.
"I have to apologise too, you gave me two articles for this issue and I am helping out in the fashion department at the moment, I can't fit anything in anymore."
Mr. Pearson started to get really annoyed.
"Is there anyone at this table who is not too busy?"
He snarled the words at everyone, and I could see the nervous looks that were exchanged.
"Sir, what if Alexandra did the interview?"
I choked on my coffee and could barely keep my coughs down.
"What?" Mr. Pearson was as confused as I was.
"Doesn't she have a degree in journalism and literature? I suppose she could fill in for Rose, couldn't she?"
Camilla would get me into trouble. A lot of trouble.
"Camilla, I want to remind you that just because your articles and in particular your weekly online column are liked by the readers that doesn't mean you can interfere with my work."
My friend nodded once and then looked at me. She wanted me to do something. I could feel it.
"Actually Sir, I think Camilla could be right," I heard myself say before I could stop myself.
Mr. Pearson turned around and glared at me.
"You do what?"
"You don't have enough people to get everything done and you don't have any time to reschedule the interview. If you give me the chance, I can prove that I can do it."
Mr. Pearson leaned back in his chance and stared at me.
It was quiet in the conference room and I could feel everyone questioning my mental state. Including me.
"You think I would give a person who never held an interview before, the most important interview this newspaper has published this year? Do you want to do the exclusive on the former prime minister as well? This is not a joke."
I swallowed hard.
"I know that this is not a joke. The question is, are you comfortable to lose this interview because you don't think your secretary is capable of doing this?"
My fingers were shaking but I tried my best to play cool. I was challenging my boss in front of everyone, but at this point I was already too far gone. Camilla was looking at me with her eyes wide open.
Mr. Pearson fell silent for a while. For too long if you ask me.
I wished that this was all just a dream and I would wake up shaking in a minute.
But that didn't happen.
"Alright Ms. Schneider. You do the interview. But if it is not absolutely perfect and to my delight, you will be fired."
At the beginning of his sentence I started to smile. At the end, my mouth fell open in shock,
"What?"
He couldn't be serious about this."Yes Ms. Schneider. You get the chance to prove yourself, but since you seem like your position here is not good enough for such an educated woman like yourself, you are free to leave."
With that he went on to the next point on his agenda and I left me speechless.

"You are insane."
"I know."
I buried my face in my hands.
"Absolutely insane."
"I know."
I glared at Camilla.
She wasn't a great help right now.
I was about to lose it. I had three days to prepare that interview and if I screwed it up, I would be unemployed.
"This is going to be a lot of work," Camilla stated the obvious.
I lifted my head off the table and looked at her in total disbelieve.
"You don't happen to have some good advice for me?"
"Sorry dear, but when I suggested that you could do the interview I never thought that it would end up threatening your job. How am I supposed to help you now?"
"You write such great articles, please help me get prepared for this."
Camilla smiled.
"Okay. But only because you are such a kiss-up right now."
I blew her a half-hearted kiss.
"Thank you."
Camilla smirked.
"Don't thank me now. Boot camp Camilla won't be easy."
With a groan I buried my face in my palms again.
Hopefully I wouldn't regret this. 

AN: Some of these chapters got majorly cut in editing, I really hope you don't mind a bit of a shorter chapter.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you did, please leave a comment or a vote :)
Xo Lena

 If you did, please leave a comment or a vote :) Xo Lena