Chapter One: The Turn

My body guides me through the forest, although, not very well. As I run, a sound of a bird chirping distracts me and makes my head turn in response, my body running full force into at the trunk of a tree. The air escapes my lungs, as I take a minute to recuperate I clutch my stomach. What strikes me as odd is that I feel myself recovering faster than I feel like I normally would have... Without letting my anxiety kick in once again, I start my trek back to our campsite. Just as the trees start to thin and I can spot our campsite, I sense something coming at a fast pace towards me. Something animalistic within me comes to the surface as I crouch in a defensive pose, eyeing the area surrounding me. The object comes jumping out of the forest and jumps over my head, landing firmly on the ground adjacent to me. When I see it to be my brother, my body immediately relaxes, if anything I feel embarrassed at my actions. I feel my face turning beet red as my brother looks at me with pride, "Well sis, it looks like your wolf has already taken control of much of your mental power. She will be at her strongest today as it is the day of the full moon and her-your first turn." My brother's words leave me silent as I absorb his insane words. "Brother, you cannot possibly be in your right state of mind. All this talk about wolves and the full moon is insane. Has something bitten you?"  I question him, looking him up and down for any bug bites, red marks, or injuries, I come up empty-handed. He just smiles at me "I saw you run into that tree, you recovered awfully fast from your injuries, you should have broken a rib, if not two. If you have any questions let me know, You will feel her pull strengthen as the day progresses and the full moon approaches." I stare at my brother incredulously as he walks towards the campsite. I see him sit down next to Blake on a log, nudging him playfully. Feeling a slight amount of rage build up towards my brother, I focus on pushing it away. 

I get into the canoe with my mother as Emma and Blake share one, leaving Austin and Jaimie to share one. Ten minutes prior, as we were deciding who would sit with who, Austin was adamant about sitting with Jaimie or more like adamant about not be seated with Emma. I could sense that her feelings were slightly hurt, giving her a reassuring smile I assign everyone to their canoes. Each girl was sat with a guy to ensure that they would be fine in any circumstance regarding the rough morning rapids of the river. My mother and I work together to use our paddles to guide us down the river when in reality we realize the strength of the river is stronger than our guidance, its force pushing us where it chooses.

Fifteen minutes into our adventure, each of us is screaming our heads off, holding onto the canoe for dear life, water splashing up rapidly often blocking our view of the water in front of us. We somehow avoided the fallen branches and boulders that obstructed our path. Our canoes find their way into a constricted channel where the water flows faster. I can feel the wood beneath me shake from the pressure of the current, my heart almost jumping out of my chest as a strong burst of currents pushes us over a concealed ledge, the adrenaline pulsing through my body. Eventually getting flung into a sandbar, one last scream leaves everyone's lips. Our bodies exhausted from enduring the wrath of the river. I plop out of the canoe, crawling and dragging my body up towards the forest. "NEVER- again!" I manage to breathe out, I sneak a glance at my best friends to see them sitting in the sand with wide eyes, their knees to their chests. "Well, that was certainly an adventure." Blake lets out a laugh at his own words as the rest of us shoot him a glare. "We almost died. Multiple times!" Emma shouts at him. My eyes avert their focus on Austin to check his mental state, the wisest one of us all. The only emotion I could get off of him is the need to protect. I see him glancing over at Emma multiple times as if fighting an urge to go over to her. I make a mental note to ask him about it later, right now I am too exhausted to move. I allow my eyes to close as I bask in the warm sun. "Becca, wake up. Becc's!" A voice speaks to me, a strong hand shaking me gently. "Mmm, wuh, huh?" Small groans leave my body as my eyes slowly open, "We have to get back to the campsite, we'll go fishing tomorrow. We let too much time go by." I notice Austin walking away. I know in the back of my head that there is no way in hell we are getting back on the canoes today, we will have to pull them to the top of the ledge and leave them here overnight, setting out on a hike the next day to retrieve them. I know Blake and Austin thought's were similar to mine as they were already pulling the canoes out of the water's harsh grasp and up onto the forest ledge. I notice a gash on Emma's leg as we all get up to walk back to the campsite. A mix between a gasp and a whimper leaves her mouth, I watch as I see Austin noticeably flinch before my eyes. Blake and my mother quickly approach her to check on her when suddenly Austin pushes through their shoulders, a low growl leaving him. It was so quiet I am unsure if anyone else was able to hear it. I can see that he is holding himself back, he whispers something to Emma awaiting her approval before he gently hoists her onto his front so that he could hold her up due to her not being able to wrap her legs around him to hold on tightly for the ride.