A Nightingale Sang final chapters

Chapter 29 A Short Walk To Church In A Favourite Dress.

John pushed the carriage door shut, he was grateful that the train had no corridor as this gave them privacy at least until the next stop, and left him free to pull Margaret into his arms. At first his kisses were soft and gentle but gradually they become more intense. He pulled away before the flames of passion engulfed him

"Margaret, do you know how much I love you?" he whispered.

"Oh John your letter removed any stupid fears and doubts that I had about your love."

"My letter..."

"Yes Fred delivered it when he was last in England. I was so worried that you were dying when you wrote those beautiful words."

"I was, everybody says it was a miracle I survived."

He claimed her soft pink lips in another kiss.

"And do you think you could ever love me in return," he asked. Desperate to hear the words.

"I love you more than life itself," Margaret whispered.

"Margaret I have asked you before, and you doubted my reasons. Will you please marry me?"

"I was so afraid you would not be able to ask me again. Yes John I will marry you." This time she was the one who instigated the passionate kisses.

"Oh Margaret please say we don't have to wait, marry me this week. I will get a special licence. I told your father my intentions this morning so he might be prepared to marry us." John asked aware that he was almost begging.

"So that's why you were at Helston," Margaret teased.

"I have spent two years longing to see you, talk with you and love you again. I have relived that night we shared in so many dreams, please say you will not make me wait."

"I will marry you when ever you like." Margaret blushed. "I have thought about that night we spent together as well.

"You really should not say things like that Margaret and expect me to behave." He pulled her close once more kissing her softly.

"What about your mother?" Margaret asked pulling away once more.

"Don't worry, I will handle my mother," he told her.

**************

If there had been a year to prepare for this day she doubted it could have been more perfect. The sun had shone from a clear blue sky, casting a golden glow over Helston and the church. She had walked to church on the arm of her father just as she had always dreamed she would. He had surprised her by handing her a large white box on her return to Helston.

"It was your mother's wedding dress; I thought if it fitted you might like to wear it."

The dress a simple shift of white silk overlaid with tulle had fitted like a second skin. Margaret had felt her mother's presence the moment she had slipped it on. Much to her surprise Hannah Thornton had asked if she could help her try the dress on.

"You look beautiful Margaret I am sure your mother would be proud to see you in her dress."

"Thank you Mrs Thornton. I wish you could have known her."

"If you are to be my daughter in law you best call me Hannah. I'm not sure if you think we can be friends I have made many mistakes, but it would mean so much if we could try."

Margaret looked at Hannah Thornton. She was a woman of her generation; her character shaped by a bitter war. In that moment Margaret realised she had much in common with John's mother.