A Nightingale Sang Chapter 10

Chapter 10 Standing Alone

The small chapel on the base was full. The four squadrons based at Andover had lost several men. A memorial service was taking place on the Sunday following Dunkirk. Group Captain Bell spoke with pride at how impressed he had been with the Airmen, all of whom had shown immense bravery and courage. How sorry he was at the loss of ten good pilots and men, either dead or missing in action. He gave special mention to one of their own who by his actions in avoiding HMS Worcester had been awarded the DFC. John flushed, the medal embarrassed him, he was doing his job, and he wanted no rewards. What of those who had not returned, where were their medals? What of the others who had flown over Dunkirk? Only to be abused by people ignorant of the facts. There had been three fights in the local pub as people demanded to know where the RAF had been. Churchill's words had helped, even if the losses inflicted on the Luftwaffe had been exaggerated. At least the public knew they were there. Where were those pilot's medals?

He glanced down at the new ring on his uniform. Promotion, he had not wanted that either. Bell had called him into his office and explained that he wanted him to take over the squadron as Squadron Leader Evans had been killed. John had to glance away, so Bell would not see his eyes bright with unshed tears. 'Taffy' had been the soul of the squadron and John would miss him greatly. Could he step into his shoes? Did he even want to? John sighed, this was war, and he had no choice.

He watched as Margaret walked up the centre aisle of the chapel. She climbed up the steps of the pulpit. How lovely and serene she looked. How the men disembarking at Dover must have felt being assisted by her; her manner calm and comforting. This thought brought his mind back to the two men she had embraced with such warmth. He mentally shook himself, he had to stop torturing himself, she was a beautiful young woman who was bound to have boyfriends.

Margaret caught John watching her. Things were strained between them, had been since the dance. She had believed herself right to caution him about Bessie Higgins. However she had not meant to imply he was not a gentleman. She still remembered his lips against her hand and even now felt a slight tingle as she thought of it. Remembering where she was and what she was doing. She cleared her throat and began reading.

For My Country.

Brave boy, many will ask why you answered,

Many will wonder at your reply.

Brave Boy, Why did you pick up arms and go to war?

Is it for money for pride or for glory?

Brave Boy, Why do you do this?

Give up your life full of dreams and hope.

Brave Boy, soldier in a foreign land, make me understand

You smile and say, "For my country"

Brave Boy, how do you face all that you must?

Many will wonder at your reply.

Brave boy, the enemy is young as young as you.

How do you face him? What do you think?

Brave boy, Are you ever afraid?

How is it you never waver, never doubt?

Brave boy, on the unrelenting seas answer me why?

You smile and say, "For my country."

Brave Boy, Do you think of death?

Many will wonder at your reply.

Brave Boy, You face the horror of war

Yet you smile and laugh. Is this a façade?

Brave boy, is it so that I can go on the same?

That you make light of the horror and plights that you see