CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Sage is only unconscious for a few minutes at most, but she sits with her eyes closed for a long while after she wakes up

Sage is only unconscious for a few minutes at most, but she sits with her eyes closed for a long while after she wakes up. She's just hoping this whole shitty scenario is just a dream; maybe she ate cheese too soon before sleeping, or perhaps that scary story she read with Stevie is coming back to bite her in the arse. She can hear voices. They're muffled and fuzzy-sounding, but she makes out the words 'marauder' and 'Snape'. She feels a hand shake her shoulder slightly.

"Are you alright?" A gruff voice asks. She cracks open an eye, and sees Sirius Black's face much too close for comfort.

"Get away from me," she mumbles, giving him a dirty look. He nods and shifts away from her on the floor. His eyes remind her of a kicked puppy- no, like one of those dogs you see on the side of the street that are all ribs and joints and foaming jaws. A mean dog, but a sad dog. But he springs to his feet shortly after, and Sage wipes her tear-gummed eyes to see that, like the vampire bastard he is, Snape has somehow materialised from the darkness. She's not surprised. She's always reckoned he could do some shady shit, and now she has proof- oh, shit, look, there's the invisibility cloak. She'll have to save her conspiracies for another day.

Snape says something ridiculously stupid and Sage wants to kick him for it. "You forgot your potion, Lupin. You're lucky I brought a gobletful."

"Oh, shut it," Sage mutters. Black hears, and shoots her a toothy grin that scares her more than it reassures her.

"While I was in your office, I happened to notice a certain map lay open on your desk. It showed that you were here and- dare I say I wasn't surprised- were in the company of Sirius Black."

"Severus, if you'd let me-"

"I've warned the Headmaster time and time again," continues Snape, not really caring that Ron's lying on the bed with a snapped leg and Sage is half-dazed on the floor. Of course he doesn't, Sage thinks. He doesn't care about anything, really, except his necrophiliac obsession with Lily Potter. "But it doesn't matter now. There'll be two more for Azkaban tonight, I think. I do wonder, though, how the Headmaster will take this. Imagine him believing he could employ a werewolf... a tame werewolf, he seemed to believe..."

"Is your schoolboy grudge really worth taking a decent man away for?" Sage pipes up. Her throat's dry, she notices, and Conner perks up at the sound of it. "You'd ruin his life just to get your own back on a prank that happened, like, twelve hundred years ago?"

Snape hisses, "Be quiet, Laurent."

"Don't tell her to be quiet, you slimy git," Black snaps. Then Snape whips his wand around, and Lupin is bound in snake-like cords. "HOW DARE YOU-"

Sage starts crying a bit. She feels like such a wuss, but seeing anyone, let alone one of her favourite professors, tied up on the floor like an animal for slaughter isn't something she'd ever wish to see in her life. Sirius starts towards Snape, but Snape points his wand in between the prisoner's eyebrows.