There was a moment of silence, and then Luc spoke up. "So what's going on between you and Hope?" There was a slight grin on his face.

Calvin raised his eyebrows. "I don't know what you mean."

Luc rolled his eyes. "You're my best friend; you should be able to tell me the truth." He glanced at Calvin. "Have you told her how you feel about her?"

The brown-haired man shook his head. "No."

"What's stopping you? Miss Landry?"

Calvin smiled wryly. "Not that, either. I told her I wasn't interested. It's just..." His voice trailed off. "I don't want Hope gettin' mixed up in any of my problems."

Luc nodded. "I guess you're right. But Hope knows the truth about you now; I think she can handle it." There was a hint of admiration in his voice. "She's a lot stronger than she looks, you know."

Calvin smiled and didn't reply. But as he kept on whittling at the piece of wood, his mind was busy forming a plan.

~

"That'll be three dollars." Mr Gerson, the grey-haired storekeeper, frowned over the counter at Hope and Angel. 

Hope reached into her purse, digging out the money. "Here you are, Mr Gerson. Thank you." She lifted the rolls of cloth off the counter, passing one to Angel. The two women left the store, smiling to the customers who were entering.

"I can't believe we're ordering more cloth already," Angel said as they walked down Main Street. "The shop's doing really well."

"I know." Hope smiled. "God's been good." In more ways than one, she thought silently, glancing across to where Calvin stood on the boarding-house porch chatting to Luc.

Calvin must have seen her, because he excused himself and came over at a light run, stopping in front of them. "Give ya a hand with those?"

Hope smiled. "We're fine, thanks. We were just heading to the shop."

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" Calvin asked, his voice lowering a bit.

Hope glanced at Angel and nodded. "I'll just be a minute," she said to the other girl.

"Alright," the brunette replied, taking the extra rolls of cloth from her friend. "I'll open up. Don't take too long." She smiled, hazel eyes dancing with mischief, and Hope blushed.

Calvin waited until she was gone before speaking again. "I was going to ask you...Would you..." Heat seared his cheeks and his drawl was noticeably more pronounced as he continued. "Would you...like...to come to dinner with me?" The last few words were jammed together in a rush.

Hope stared at him, not quite believing her ears. "You mean...tonight?"

Calvin nodded. "Yeah...if you want to, that is."

Hope smiled, her heart beating fast and hard with excitement. "I'd--I'd like that."

It was all Calvin could do to keep the grin off his face. "When do you want me to get you?"

"Seven would be fine."

"Alright." Calvin tipped his hat and walked away, but Hope stood there for a minute longer, willing her heart to slow down, unable to hide the smile on her face.

~

Time seemed to pass particularly slowly that afternoon. Hope struggled to concentrate, jabbing her finger more than once. Eventually, Angel called a halt.

"You're going to bleed all over the new dresses if you keep doin' that," she said. "Gonna tell me what's goin' on?"

Hope glanced at her. "Calvin asked me out to dinner."