thirty two; escape

Start from the beginning

"'Know thy enemy'," I hesitate before looking over to Allison. Unfortunately that was a phrase I've heard one too many times.  "Just something my grandfather said."

My small fingers grasp the wire of the bow, pulling it back and resting it against my cheek with all my strength. At nine years old, I had just mustered the ability to do so. Something that was at first fun, was slowly turning into something more. Something draining.

I look deep into the eyes of the young man before me. Maybe just a few years older than me, pleading with me to not let go of his life line that sat in the cusps of my grasps. I wince, knowing as soon as my father grew closer, this would all be over. Even if it wasn't in the way I wanted it to be.

"Please...I didn't know," I flinch, the pure terror in his voice causing my hands to shake even more so than they already were. "I promise, I have help. Ill do better...I'll be better."

I watch as a tear rolls down his cheek and a sob rakes over his entire body.

No.

He wasn't evil. This is not what I was prepared for, I was prepared for something dark. Something sinister. That I would be okay with ending, but this...this I am not.

Not a kid trembling with fear, begging me for his life. I slowly lower my bow, tears leaking from my own eyes. I nod to the darkness that surrounds us, and with maybe the quickest movements I've yet to see, he gathers himself to his feet and takes off, until I no longer can see him. I gulp at the sudden sound of leaves crunching around me, steps I knew were coming, and yet it didn't cause any else fear within me.

I feel a tight grip on my tiny upper arm before the familiar voice of my father meets me ear, "Know thy enemy, and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated."

I blink away the memory and feel myself grow the smallest bit more numb as it fades. Just another moment in life I keep locked away in the depths. My eyes look over to Allison again, cherishing the childhood she got to relish in. Scott's voice is what brings me back to the ground, "He risked his life for us. Against Peter, you remember that?"

Killing Jackass is off the table.

"Yes, but what did we just find out? He got the bite from Derek. It's funny how he just got exactly what he wanted by supposedly risking his life for us, it's funny." I nod after Stiles finishes speaking. "I don't think we should kill him, but I have to agree with Stiles there. It can't just be a coincidence that he got exactly what he wanted."

That gained me Scott's discipline look, "Yeah, it doesn't mean he's not still worth saving. He doesn't know what he's doing."

Stiles rolls his eyes tiredly, "So what?"

I put a hand on Stiles' shoulder, attempting to get to calm down and see Scott's side of things, "Listen, Scott didn't have any idea what he was doing when I first moved here either. I could have just as easily tried to kill him for the same reason. We can't ever make those rash decisions. We were there to stop Scott, Jackass has nobody."

Stiles looks between us all and shrugs carelessly, "That's his own fault."

I feel a slight pain in my chest at the words and take a step back from the group. The wind suddenly picks up and without thought I look over to the van feet away from us, a silent tear rolling down my cheek. I blink quickly, and wipe it away, confused by the emotions swirling inside of me. Pure sadness, but not my own.

I ignore the feeling, pushing it deep down inside of me. Agreeing with Scott I nod, "Doesn't matter. If we can save him, we should try."

☾ ✩ ☽

It wasn't long before me and Stiles were running through the leaves and branches to get back to were Jackson was. We had left Allison and Scott to watch over the van while we were checking in on Lydia. I suddenly had a crushing feeling that wasn't the best of plans as the van comes into sight. I stop quickly, causing Stiles to bump into me, "Abby, what the-"

"Yeah, maybe you wanna take a look at what I'm looking at." We both stare at the sight of the mangled back doors of the van. He's out. Not just Jackson is out, but it's obvious the Kanima is out. I grab Stiles sleeve and pull him towards the familiar car in front of us. I grimace and look away as I walk up to the passenger seat, only to see my sister on top of one of my best friends with her shirt off. Boyfriend or not, there's just some things I don't need to see in life.

Stiles pulls me behind him slightly, catching my drift, before knocking loudly on the window. They both jump apart like they've been sat in the electric chair before looking back at us. Stiles rolls his eyes heavily, nodding behind us, "You guys might wanna come take a look at this."

We wait for them to gather themselves before we all walk over to the empty van. Allison takes in a deep sigh before looking to me, then Scott, "I have to tell our father, Scott. He's going to kill someone."

I wince, knowing she's probably right about the murder part, but also not wanting to admit that we may actually have to go to him. Scott sighs and nods, not looking at any of us, "Okay, tell him. Tell him everything."

Stiles only looks at him sadly before shaking his head, "I gotta tell mine too."

I can see the self deprecating look in his eyes before he even speaks, "This is all my fault."

As if on instinct, I reach over and lay my hand on his arm caringly, "Scott, no. This is on none of us. How can any of us stop this? We're just teenagers."

Allison looks over to Stiles with a genuine confusion, "How're you gonna make your dad believe all this?"

I connect eyes with Scott, and almost with an unspoken bond his eyes begin to glow. I nod as his golden gaze meets all of ours, "He'll believe me."