Anxiety

Circa 2010

There was a time in your life that you had thought that singing in front of an audience was a feat impossible to present. That the monster inside of you would somehow show itself again like so many times before but you proved to yourself time and time again that the monster can be defeated. And so you stood on stage once again like you had before, your head held high, stage lights aimed at you and every single person present waited with bated breath. The beating of your heart quickened against your chest, the beads of sweat dripped down your cheeks and dress you wore tightened making it hard to breath.

Your eyes scanned the crowd to find the one person who could keep the monster inside at bay. You looked and looked but his face was not among the crowd.

He promised he would be here. You thought as you tried to compose yourself, your eyes flickered away from the sea of people and towards the microphone in front of you, your trembling hands wrapped around its cold metal. It's usually not that crowded at the Lounge and yet there they were, they occupied every single table and stood around the bar making it difficult for new customers to come in.

The pianist behind you cleared his throat, indicating that he was ready to start. Your pulse quickened, you were definitely not ready, at least not until you see him.

"Luck..." you muttered under your breath, a look of disappointment crossed your face but you felt mostly afraid.

The sound of the piano startled you and you looked back at the gentleman who was gracefully playing the ivory keys. Your eyes widened in surprise, behind the grand piano sat the one person that you had been looking for. His short, brown hair was sleekly combed back, he wore a nice black and white tuxedo that hugged just the right parts of his lean body.

He flashed you a warm smile and gave you a wink before he returned his focus back on the sweet melody he was creating.

All the worry that was apparent on your face melted as soon as you saw his smile and knowing that he was beside you helped keep your monster from escaping.

The lights dimmed a few seconds after Luck began his piano intro, the low whispers of the crowd stopped and all eyes were only on you. Following Luck's lead, you began to sing. Your haunting voice started deep as you sang out the lyrics to a love song that reminded you of simple times that were long forgotten.

A time you knew that Luck once belonged to, an era you wished you could have witnessed beside him. It wasn't easy for him, but he told you what he was; an immortal and that he wasn't the only one.

Despite that, you accepted everything that he was and the two of you couldn't be any happier.

Your song was nearing its end but your voice and Luck's piano created a melody that had seemed to put everyone in a trance.

It was powerful and it was beautiful.

And when it ended, silence filled the whole room. Even the waiting staff remained unmoving, it's like if they did they would shatter something so precious.

It was Luck who broke the silence, the sound of him clapping seemed to have invigorated the crowd and they too joined him. The pounding in your chest never ceased but the smile on your face indicated that you were no longer afraid.

Luck appeared beside you, a proud smirk present on his lips as he took your hand into his and laced his fingers with yours.

"I thought you wouldn't show..." you whispered.

"When have I ever missed a performance?" He responded, his eyes forward and to the crowd.

"Hm... Never?" You added.