15: Go to Detention with him

Start from the beginning

Dumb bitch, I was only trying to help.

"All three of you, detention!" She exclaimed.

"But—" I started.

"Detention," she said again, more forcefully.

That was basically how we all found ourselves sitting in room 304, glaring at the wall.

There was a kid sitting in the back passed out and the teacher was currently blasting funny youtube videos on his headphones.

As for Mason, Richard, and me, we were fighting the boredom that came with detention.

"You couldn't have just gotten up from my seat," Mason hissed loudly, not caring if the teacher in charge heard him.

Richard pressed the ice bag into his swollen eye and narrowed his other one. For the first time since I'd met Richard, he looked annoyed.

"You couldn't just admit that you pushed Jessica," Richard spat back just as angry.

"Why the fuck would I jump in the freezing water to go get her if I had pushed her in? Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think, shit for brains?"

"Whatever," Richard finally gave up and adjusted the bag on his face, "just don't take Morgan to any lakes."

He murmured the last part but Mason sure caught it.

"What the fuck is your deal with Morgan? Does she have flavored nipples or something that I don't know about?"

"Hey, fuck you!" I cried out, but was ignored by both of them.

"What's your deal with Morgan? Why did you lie about your whereabouts during Jessica's death?" Richard shot back.

Mason clenched his fist and mumbled something under his breath.

"What?" I questioned.

"None of your fucking business," he growled.

"Hey!" A voice came from the back, "can all of you shut the fuck up?"

I turned to look at the kid who had been previously sleeping.

"Do you have a problem with something?" Mason turned back with a raised eyebrow, "because if you do, I'll gladly fix it for you."

The boy's eyes widened and he shook his head quickly. "M—Mason, I didn't know, I—I," he stammered and put his head back down with a quick sorry.

"You're a bitch, Mason."

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to shove my fist down your fucking throat, Venice."

I shushed them loudly, earning both of their gazes. "If no one shuts up, I'm going to shove my fist up your asses."

Both of them turned around with furrowed eyebrows. "What kind of porn do you watch?" Mason asked.

I fucking hated them both.

•••

I felt my bed shift and I sprang up, ready to slam someone in the head with— well, I didn't know with what but I was planning to hit them with something.

"Oh, it's you," I mumbled as I caught side of Mason, "are you drunk?"

He shook his head and looked down.

"Did you get kicked out of your house?"

"I just couldn't sleep," he murmured.

I rubbed my eyes and frowned. "What the fuck do I look like? A group of sheep?"

"A flock," he corrected quite uselessly.

Excuse me? No one was going to come into my house and correct me.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Mason?" I questioned as I turned to face him.

He paused before sighing. "Do you really think I pushed her?"

"I don't know, Mason, I wasn't there," I mumbled.

I honestly didn't know what to think. I don't think Richard was lying, but I didn't think Mason was either. All in all, I didn't give a single fuck, I was just trying to graduate.

"Plus, I thought you didn't care what people thought about you," I added in, yawning right after.

It was 3am, I wanted sleep.

"I—I don't," he defended quickly, "I just don't want Richard giving you any ideas."

"Why do you need me to believe you?" I asked after a long silence.

"I—"

The door burst open and Dee came in, with my spare key in her hand.

"Hey, M, I need a place to— oh, I wasn't aware you had company."

"This is not what it looks like, Dee," I rushed as I threw my hands up in defense.

"I'll crash on your couch until you're available," and with that she shut the door.