Chapter 10

Coming Out With Fights

◇◇◇

It was after the holidays and Aster was just gathering on the carriage that was being escorted by two skeletal horses. Grey and thin, they had wings and seemed almost bat-like. Aster heard about these creatures from Charlie, they were Thestral, a horse-like creature that only people who have a good understanding of death and those who have seen it. Aster watched as the Thestrals moved, their bones shown through their skin easily. She looked in a familiar sort of daze that caught Fred's eye.

"You alright?" Fred asked her quietly as Lucy and George had a conversation about Quidditch matches.

"Yeah," Aster shook her head and focused on the red-head in front of her. She struck a conversation about the charms class and how she thought it was interesting and fun, Fred nodded as he listened, not interrupting unless she asked for his opinion.

"Aster," She heard the voice of her friend behind her, she turned around and was tackled by a shorter boy who was giggling with glee. She had just arrived at the castle when Lance caught sight of her, "I missed you," he laughed, "it was so lonely here without you," he calmed down and let Aster stand straight and fix her glasses.

"I missed you as well," Aster calmly, "what was it you had to tell me, it sounded important if you didn't was to discuss over mail," she asked once he had fully calmed down, a concerned look on her face.

"Oh well," Lance started saying before looking around to the other students around them, he took her hand and lead her underneath the tree in the courtyard. They sat on the patched snow and watched the students before he started talking again. But once he started talking, the first word seemed to be choked out of him, Aster looked at him and saw that he was wiping tears away from his eye.

"Hey," Aster said softly, she used her gloved hand and helped him wipe the falling tears off his face, "if it hurts to tell me, you don't have to, it's all up to you, either way, I'll still be here for you," she said kindly with a smile.

Lance looked at her with his tear covered eyes and smiled, "I," he started to say but looked away from Aster, who looked at the ground knowing it wouldn't help if she stared at him for so long, "I think," his voice cracked and Aster heard him sniffle. "I think I might be gay," he said with a big sigh from crying before covering his face with his hands, he didn't want the same reaction he had with his mother and father, frankly, he was petrified. She saw how torn he was about telling her this and felt sorry for him, she thought he was too kind to feel that kind of sadness.

Aster looked at him and gave him her traditional soft smile, her heart was calming down, and the soft touch from her calmed Lance down as well, "Lance, that's okay," she said quietly, "you are allowed to like whoever you want," she told him, "you can like just guys, and I can like both guys and girls, it doesn't matter," she stated as she took his hands away from his face that was now red and tear stained.

"What?" He stumbled, "you're," he smiled and hugged her unexpectedly earning a startled gasp and chuckle from Aster.

"Yeah," she patted his back and smiled, "and if it will make you feel better, I won't tell anyone unless you want me too," she promised while taking off her mitten as they parted the hug. She put out her pinkie and smiled as he wrapped his own smaller pinkie around hers, "promise," they both said together.

They sat there for a moment before Aster snorted at something that crossed her mind while looking at the students talking, "what?" Lance asked with an amused smile on her face, she was looking at another student that was across the courtyard, it was Cedric Diggory, his cheeks immediately flushed. Aster giggled before belting out in full of laughter and howling, "shut up."