Hair Dye

I woke up the next morning with a pain in my neck.  I opened my eyes and groaned.  I felt my head slowly rise up and down and looked around.  I fell asleep on Calum's bare chest, our legs intertwined and my body pressed up against his side.  I looked up to Calum's face and saw that he was awake.  "Sorry, I didn't want to wake you up," he said, his voice soft and content.  I smiled lightly and turned onto my stomach and folded my arms onto his chest, resting my head on top to face him.  

        "It's fine," I smiled.  A smile swept across Calum's lips.  

        "You seem happy this morning," he said.  I shrugged, running my hand through my hair.  

        "I don't know," I said finally.  Calum reached his hand up from my back and moved some stray hair from my face and looked into my eyes.  He took in every part of my face before slowly leaning in closer.  My body was frozen as Calum threaded his long fingers through my hair, pulling me closer to him.  I closed my eyes and turned my head away from him.  "I can't," I choked out and pulled the bed sheets away from above us.  Calum clenched his hand and sat up on his elbows, his eyes following me as I walked into the bathroom, and shut the door.  I washed my face with cold water, but I couldn't get the redness from my face to subside.  I sighed and looked at my reflection.  My stomach felt empty as I pointed out every mark and imperfection on my face.  Scars from acne, red spots, discolored areas from years of sun damage.  I sighed and tore my eyes away from the disaster before me.  All I could think was Calum's eyes looking at every single one of them.  I sighed and covered my eyes.  "What am I doing?" I thought.  I knew getting into something with Calum had BAD written all over it, but it made me feel sick knowing that I didn't do it.  I stopped.  Calum was going to kiss me.  And I wanted to kiss him.  I groaned inwardly and felt a weird feeling in my stomach.  "What is wrong with me?"  I turned to the door and silently poked my head through into the bedroom.  Calum was gone and the pillows and sheets were tossed onto the bed, the night before only a memory.  I walked across the room and landed face first on the bed.  The sheets smelled just like Calum, a warm and familiar scent.  I quickly got up and changed into a loose top and ripped shorts before going downstairs to meet the boys.  Halfway down the stairs, I smelled something burning and heard muffled shouting.  I ran down the stairs and sprinted into the kitchen.  All four boys were crowded around the kitchen counter, grabbing rags to clear the smoke cloud forming above them.  "What happened?" I asked, bewildered.  I walked up to them and waved the smoke away from my face.  In the middle of the counter, a smoking waffle maker was holding the charred remains of a couple waffles.  There were charcoal-like piles of overcooked waffles strewn across the counter.  The boys looked at me and froze in the midst of the mess.  

        "Our waffle maker's broken," Michael said innocently, pointing to the machine.  I held back my laughter and cleared off the waffles from the pan and tossed the hot surface into the sink.  I started to clear off the "waffles" and the boys opened the windows to air out the room.  I looked at the boys and sighed.  

        "Take out?" I asked.  They all nodded.    We drove to a nearby pancake house and had a late breakfast.  

        "Hey Y/N, do you know what day it is?" Michael asked.  I turned to him across the table and shook my head, giving Luke and Calum the perfect opportunity to steal the last of my strawberry pancakes.  I scowled at both of them and took some of Ashton's bacon from his plate.  

        "What day is it?" I replied.  

        "It's the day we dye our hair!" Michael cheered.  I groaned.  

        "Ugh I forgot about that," I said, putting a hand to my forehead.  

        "What are you backing out?" Michael said, wiggling his eyebrows.  I leaned slightly across the table.