01 » piece of cake

Start from the beginning

"Fine." Honestly, I hate how the way the smoke chokes me, but I also love the way it intoxicates me.

Louis grins victoriously, rolling up the joint before hanging the pipe from his lips. He pulls out a lighter from his pocket, before lighting the end, watching how it burns to a bright ember.

He takes in a drag, sighing contently as he puffs out the white smoke, then hands it over to me.

I suck it in, letting the familiar warm toxic substance fill me up.

I exhale deeply, watching how the white smoke lifts into the air, before disappearing into the evening sky.

"You sure you don't wanna come to this party?" Louis asks before drawing in another drag then passing it back to me.

"I'm sure." I roll my eyes. "I can't be arsed with horny people climbing all over me." I say, taking a hit.

"I'm done, finish it up."

"You took three drags." He states the obvious.

"So? I'm trying to cut down." I shrug casually. "Leave when you're done." I say, handing the last bit of the burning pipe to him.

He rolls his eyes, taking in the last long drag. "How anti social can you get, really? You don't even want to be around your own brother." He says, then pushes himself up from his spot, dusting sand off his bum. "Offer's still open though. And just so you know, it's arm wrestling night, could earn you some pretty good cash."

"You know I've stopped doing that, Louis." I sigh, pushing my hair back from my forehead.

He shrugs. "Just putting it out there. See ya at home, H."

I simply grumble out an inaudible response, before shifting my attention back to the beautiful scenery before me once more.

The waves are rolling in with a soothing sound, I watch as each wave overlaps one another. Each wave lacy with foam, with subtle green and blue hues.

But beyond those magical waves was something even more amazing and breathtaking: The sunset. The sun is now kissing the horizon, beautiful rays of coral, lavender, turquoise, and a fiery orange blended together to create a sight so astounding.

A warm feeling of safety and security overwhelms me as the sun slowly dips down below the horizon. The vast ocean in front of me felt like my home, where I belonged, a place to escape from my life.

Nothing could ever take that feeling away.

Unfortunately, the sudden loud pounding of ridiculous electronic music did, shattering the tranquil bubble I was in.

The beach house is a whole kilometre away. I don't even want to imagine how loud the music actually is over there.

I sigh frustratedly, about to stand up to move further away when my phone suddenly starts ringing.

I pull it out from my shorts, without giving the caller ID a second glance.

"Hello?"

"Styles." The familiar gruff voice answers, causing me to inwardly curse, immediately regretting that I answered in the first place.

"Tell me, what date is it today, Styles?"

I sigh. "The fifteenth." I mumble.

"Right. So you remembered. And what should be happening on the fifteenth?" He asks rhetorically, and I can just imagine his boot clad feet kicked up on the table, a thick joint between his lips.

I run my hands over my face distraughtly.

"It's five thousand pounds, Alex, and I only make five hundred a month. I-"