Chance

Enjoy xo.

                     He felt beyond immature for hiding out in the cafe's storage room; however, he couldn't bring himself to face the man he made a fool out of himself in front of, the day prior. Niall came to the conclusion that it was a crush; simple, yet complex all at once. He had many crushes before, but that was plain, old, puppy love; something for high schoolers. He was now living within the adult world and pursuing someone took more courage than he truly had. Looking through the door's small window, he could see the object of his affection laughing enticely, caught up in some sort of conversation with Harry. Niall was a little envious, how easy-going Harry was; someone who could converse for hours without catching his breath; someone who only had to rely on his physical appearance and his sense of charm (what came so easily as well). Then, there was Niall. Blond, but not really; less personality than his once chipped tooth he used to sport some time ago. He was short and had to stand atop a chair just to clean the cafe's large window; and he had to return home to loud music and fur balls. It was almost impossible to not feel discouraged. Niall was startled to death, stumbling backwards and nearly jumping out of his own skin when a pair of green eyes appeared in the small window. "Not to judge you or anything," Harry began, head now sticking through the small opening of the door, "but I can pretty much smell your fear and anxiety all the way from the dining area." Niall remained quiet, throat dry, not really knowing how to respond to the epitome of oddity that was this man before him. He'd never really get used to having a manager that was technically still a teenager (nineteen); but Harry did give him a job, so he learned how to bite his tongue and not complain. "What are you doing in here anyway? I doubt this is where you'd want to spend your lunch break," Harry pondered, fully stepping into the storage room. It was a little cold and smelled like sesame bread.

                    "What were, um . . . you and that guy talking about?" Niall asked, clearing his throat and trying to remain nonchalant. His rosy cheeks had a way of telling a tale and Harry could see right through his facade.

                    "Me and . . . Mr. Handsome?" Harry asked, a smug smirk appearing on his lips, looking back at the door for a split second to give indication.

                    "Yeah. I mean," Niall shook his head, "not handsome - that guy . . . what were you laughing about?" Niall was growing nervous, spewing out stuttered words and embarrassment flowing through his blood. He was sure his reflection was crimson all over, but for some reason, he so desperately wanted Harry to answer. He needed to know.

                    "Wow, you're pretty tense," Harry laughed. "But if you must know, he was just telling me a joke. It was quite funny, really."

                    "About what?" Niall curiously asked.

                    "Oh, you know; that joke about a boy falling on his ass in a bookstore. It's a classic." Niall's eyes widened, completely taken aback; but Harry was quick on his feet, hurriedly leaving the storage room, leaving nothing behind but his taunting laughter. Niall quickly trailed behind him, a small gasp arising from his chapped lips.

                   "Harry!" Niall called. His whine ricochet throughout the café, causing the guests' heads to turn in his direction, including Zayn's. Niall blushed, muttered his apologies, and then quickly scurried away.

                    Niall wearily walked through the hall of the apartment building, approaching his respective home. He worked a long shift, he suffered another day of embarrassment, and his feet were sore from his lack of stand still. He seemed to always be on the go, trying to figure things out, trying to catch up with life. It was overwhelming, not fully knowing who he was. He could walk a mile in his own shoes and still feel a little out of place. Maybe he was a bit tense, as aforementioned by Harry. He unlocked the door, and then stepped inside. He came to a halt, eyes wide and mouth agape. The parlors lamp was dim, the channel set to a class horror movie, and Liam was asleep on the couch. But what shocked Niall was the lack of clutter and how cleaned and cozy their apartment appeared. Niall took another step further, setting his keys on the coffee table, where he found a note awaiting him.

                    "I know you've been a bit stressed lately, so I decided to do some deep cleaning. The damaged wall in your room is repaired and I left you some Chinese on the stove." - Liam

                    Niall gently laid a blanket on Liam, and then spent his night eating Chinese food in his bedroom, on the bay window.