Chapter 6

My shift for keeping watch goes smoothly. I can actually relax somewhat as I watch the sun rise. Cameron must be sensitive to the light, because he wakes up suddenly. There’s something I’ve been dying to ask him, and now might be my best chance.

“How’d you get reaped, anyway?” I ask while we eat a piece of bread. “I thought they made an exception for the mayor’s children.”  

He scoffs. “Whoever told you that was a liar. My dad’s got nothing on President Snow, who ensures that everyone eligible has their name in the reaping bowls, no matter who they’re related to.  He insists we’re all supposed to be treated equally, that we all need to learn our lessons from District 13’s rebellion.”

I roll my eyes inside. It’s been nearly sixty years since the Games were established. Most of the people from those days are dead and gone. You’d think the Hunger Games would’ve disappeared, yet generation after generation has suffered the same consequences. We had nothing to do with what happened in District 13. How is this fair?

“Oh,” is all I say aloud. Cameras are planted everywhere, so I have to be careful of my words.

Snow begins falling lightly. I can see where this is going: The Gamemakers are pushing us to find shelter before it becomes a blizzard.

“Cameron, you said you can build forts, right?”

“Yeah,” he replies. “I get what you’re trying to say. We’ll be buried in snow if we don’t move. So let’s not waste time.”

We head in the direction of the mountains. It probably has a cave or two hidden in them. If not, we can see about using the rocks to make a fort. 

During our walk, we come face to face with another tribute. Her hair’s a messy blonde ponytail and she’s carrying her bag, a bow, and a quiver of arrows strapped over her back. I know who she is, of course.

“Hey, Quinn.”

“Wiress.”

Cameron waves at her hesitantly, a little intimidated by her weapon. I’m not sure he trusts her, but I do.

“Where are you two headed?” she asks.

I shrug. “Somewhere safe, probably the mountains. We’re looking for a hideout spot.”

“Smart idea. Can I come with you?”

“Sure.” Quinn was more than helpful during training, and to be honest, I could use another girl’s company.

Cameron, Quinn and I keep trudging onward as the snow comes. Nothing bad comes our way for hours. We’ve almost reached the bottom of the mountain. Luckily, there are tons of rocks piled around it. Perfect.

Then a male scream catches my ears. Quinn’s body jolts upright, as if she recognizes the scream. “Dwayne!” She takes off running towards the sound. I don’t want to leave her alone. Cameron and I trail behind her warily, keeping our eyes open for tributes.

She turns out to be right. Her district partner lies on the ground, bleeding profusely from a stab wound. The girl from District 6 stands up, her knife tainted with his blood. A cannon fires to confirm that the wound was fatal.  

In the blink of an eye, Quinn releases an arrow into her heart. Holy volts. I didn’t even see Quinn prepare her bow. She’s a perfect shot.

Cameron and I begin walking again.

“Hold on just a second!” Quinn snaps. “I need to say goodbye.”

Of course. I’m an idiot. “All right,” I tell her. “We’ll stay here until the hovercar comes to take the bodies away.”

It arrives within a minute of the cannon blast.

Quinn hangs her head. “Let’s go.”

A few steps later, we reach our destination at the foot of the mountain range. Cameron gets to work making a fort for us. It won’t keep us out of sight from anyone who might be on the mountain, but it will blend in and conceal us from three points of view. Quinn and I help with stacking on some of the lighter rocks that we can actually carry. It looks more than sturdy enough to hold. This will be our home for now. If you can call anywhere in the arena home.

While she makes a fire within the fort, Quinn cries silently. “I liked him. I mean, I really liked him. And I never got the chance to say it.”

I swallow hard, wondering how I would feel if Beetee and I hadn’t kissed. The thought twists my stomach. We still might see each other again, but for Quinn and Dwayne, that possibility has been crushed for good. “I’m sorry,” is all I can manage.

As we sit there in depressing silence, a parachute touches the snow. “Looks like we earned something,” I say happily, opening it. Inside the parachute is a pot of chicken dumpling soup. There’s a note attached to the lid:

Thought you could use a little food and warmth. Eat up. -Beetee

“Well, it won’t be hot forever,” Cameron reasons. “Dinner time.”

We each gulp down one scoop of the delicious soup. It tastes so wonderful, I wish I could make it last. But this is all we can eat for now. I pack the pot away in my bag.

“Hey Quinn,” I begin to say. But Quinn’s already fast asleep, nestled in her own sleeping bag.

Cameron whispers, “Let her sleep. She’s had a rough day.”

“Yeah. I’ll do guard duty first, so you rest up. I’ll wake you later.”

“You’re awesome, Wiress.” He yawns as he slips into his sleeping bag. “Nighty night.”

I wrap my blanket around me and sit close to the fire, relieved to have made it through another day.