Dracula's Guests

The company had realized nearly all their goals. Once, struggling, with barely enough revenue to buy a coffee, their visionary CEO and adventurous CPO had continued to build forward until technology and vision aligned. They had revolutionized how people discovered stories, become a multi-platform entertainment powerhouse, and changed the lives of creative partners around the world.

Their machine learning bots served everything from anecdotes about mama's bao to VR werewolf adventures to the reconstructed works of Democritus. Artificial intelligence had been a big part of success, as well as driven, resourceful employees.

Now, the inclusive team sat in their eclectic Toronto offices waiting on an announcement.

The CEO glanced at his mobile device then tucked it into his stylish belt pouch. He knew his team waited.

With.

Anticipation.

There was one thing he envisioned that had yet to be realized.

"Artificial Intelligence has advanced to the point where we can take the next leap." He paused. "Our entertainment company has partnered with a multinational hospitality company to bring our dream of theme parks to life!"

The culturally polite staff did not ask too many questions at once, yet curiosity beamed from their faces.

The CEO turned to his long-time business partner.

The CPO spoke, "To build forward, we'll take inspiration from the past. Our first attractions will be designed around public domain stories."

Several years later, the first beta testers gathered in the hipster mecca Cluj-Napoca. They were a diverse group selected from both staff and clientele. The group was led by those princes of story-sharing software plus two American partners: a VP of Brand Marketing with the Hospitality company and a Design Agency Executive who had provided support for the user interface.

"Lobby dining options and mezzanine community work-spaces are ideal for today's creative professionals." The Hospitality VP pointed out amenities of the design-forward lobby of the boutique style hotel. Amid local flavor the logo like two red mountain peaks hinted global backing.

"And the vampire fans," said their youngest member, a boy who appeared barely old enough to have his own social media accounts. He held a device, though he did not look at it as he spoke. "Cluj is the once and now unofficial capital of Transylvania and many in the Western World do associate Transylvania with vampires."

"Exactly right," said the CEO who liked to help everyone feel they belonged. "Should we start the story now?"

The story began with the current date and in travelogue style related the way to the castle using the preferred language. The beta group used various devices. Some saw reality augmented by overlay, some text, while others listened, but the story was the same for all so long as they remained together. It directed them through the streets of historic Cluj to a station where an authentic-looking steam engine and passenger cars waited. 

The gates automatically opened as each approached with their active device and soon the entire group, including one team member's dog, had boarded a car.

As the train pulled towards the nearby mountains, a guest asked, "How will you manage this when open to the public? Won't there be lines?"

The CPO glanced to his business partner. "The AI detects clusters of users and groups them into the cars for optimized efficiency.

The Hospitality VP nodded. "Based on the data provided, when we have more of your stories running, it is not likely there will be overwhelming numbers engaging with any one story."

"Unless it's new," another suggested.

"True," said the CPO, "but...." He trailed off, seeing their CEO gesture he wished to speak.

"Think how we could manage it. Users could engage with a separate story on the train. Should we need to delay:  a murder mystery!"

"I just got a text from Dracula!"

"Me, too!"

"Aww, he signs it 'Your Friend'."

"He knows where I live!"

They had each received a text from Dracula.

The train stopped and the guests were greeted by a pair of horse-drawn coaches along a boarding ramp. Darkly cloaked drivers gestured for them to board, yet, a sign scrolling through several languages indicated an optional wheelchair accessible footpath.

"Test it," The CEO suggested.

The group split, some taking the coach and others the path, but all found themselves at the entry to the courtyard. The riders had seen the "dead travel fast" lady, while those on the path had see the "Walpurgisnight" fellow.

"We call them the stock characters," their CPO said. "The story you engage with triggers their script. They can't improvise."

"You mean some do?" The Designer asked. She had worked only on the visuals.

He laughed.

Wolves howled.

The great door opened.

There stood an old man dressed in black carrying a silver lantern. "Welcome to my house. Enter freely and of your own free will."

Dracula.

Dracula graciously invited his guests into the castle. He inquired whether they had any baggage or letters, but this group did not. After a slight pause, Dracula gestured to an interior hall. "Be seated and sup how you please."

There was a long table, but the dishes upon it were empty. 

"It is late and my people are not available, perhaps you would like to retire to the library?"

"Amazing. He's improvising based on environment and interactions!"

"Yes," said the CPO, "The char-actor  has been fed story texts and all our company values.

"He looks familiar."

"Users voted to give him the likeness of their favorite staff member," the CEO answered.

Behind them, Dracula guided the Hospitality VP to a chair near the fire."If you please, be seated. Allow me to take your shoes."

"Was this part of the story?" The Designer's voice was tight.

"Would that be his custom?" The CEO whispered.

"Dracula's trying to wear my shoes!"

The dog-owner gasped. "Did you say Dracula has all our company values? Including hashtag-user-obsessed?"

The boy sprang forward and held an icon before Dracula. 

"Quincy Harker," said the AI, "follow me if you want to live!"