19. Dumbledore's Army

Beginne am Anfang

"Remind me to slap your father if I ever meet him." 

Cole smiled, but it looked quite forced. "But why does he keep getting to win? He's in Azkaban, he's not meant to have power over me anymore, everyone's meant to forget about him... that's the rule, right? But now even when absent, he's making me feel this way."

I had a bad feeling in my stomach about this. "Like what?"

Cole gave a forced smile again. "Like I can't cope."

Before I could ask him what he meant by this, Harry, Ron and Hermione came in. They all climbed onto the table with us, and Cole began talking to Ron about a quidditch match on the radio tonight, acting like our conversation didn't happen.

"Where's Gennie to?" Harry asked curiously.

"Trying to re-form the team." I explained. "She should be back soon."

As soon as I said that, Gennie barrelled into the room, a bright smile lighting up her face. She practically skipped over to us, and stood in the circle of Cole's arms. He looked much calmer at Gennie's presence, though his expression was strained.

“I’ve got permission!” she sang. “To re-form the Quidditch team!” 

 “Excellent!” Ron, Harry and I chorused. 

 “Yeah, I know!" Gennie said, beaming. “I went to McGonagall and I think she might have appealed to Dumbledore. Anyway, Umbridge had to give in. Ha! So I want you down at the pitch at seven o’clock tonight, all right, because we’ve got to make up time. You realize we’re only three weeks away from our first match?”

"Jesus, that's come quick." I said, raising my eyebrows. "It's against Slytherin, right?"

Gennie nodded grimly. Cole pulled at the end of her plait. "You'll be fine, Gen. You're like the best captain to lead them."

She rolled her eyes, but gave him a quick kiss. "I've gotta pass this onto the twins and Katie. I'll meet up with you all later." she gave Cole another kiss. "Love you Cole, see you later!"

"Love you too." Cole said, sounding relieved as Gennie skipped off towards Katie to break the great news.

Ron’s smile slipped slightly as he looked out of the window, which was now covered with hammering rain. 

 “Hope this clears up. What’s up with you, Hermione?” 

 She, too, was gazing at the window, but not as though she really saw it. Her eyes were unfocused and there was a frown on her face.  

“Just thinking…” she said, still frowning at the rain-washed window.  

“About Siri— Snuffles?” said Harry. 

 “No… not exactly…” said Hermione slowly. “More… wondering… I suppose we’re doing the right thing… I think… aren’t we?” 

“Well, that clears that up,” said Cole irritably, scratching at the tiny amount of stubble on his chin. “It would’ve been really annoying if you hadn’t explained yourself properly.”

“I was just wondering,” she said, her voice stronger now, “whether we’re doing the right thing, starting this Defense Against the Dark Arts group.” 

 “What?" We said together.

 “Hermione, it was your idea in the first place!” said Ron indignantly. 

 “I know,” said Hermione, twisting her fingers together. “But after talking to Snuffles…” 

 “But he’s all for it,” said Harry.