CHAPTER 1: THALIA

Thalia Sayre sighed

Thalia Sayre sighed.

"Wait, wait," Sterling Mostafa said, holding up a hand. "Did the new headmaster just gamble away the school? Is that what you're saying?"

"What else could a personal secretary doing all the 'not important' desk work mean?" Lizy said, looking at her friends with a stern expression. "The desk work is the most important part of the job! That's where the rules happen, that's where—"

"We get it!" Claire Wu said, crossing her arms and leaning back. "The new headmaster is as stupid and selfish as the old one. Can't MACUSA get anyone better?"

"It's an elected position," Isadora Nox said, tossing some long brown hair over her shoulder.

"Only from the Magical Congress," Bridgette Zythra said, leaning in. "It's just like the no-maj electoral college but it goes for almost all magical elected positions." The other girls stared at her. Bridgette wasn't done. "Districts cast their vote and then the magical Senators can vote how their district voted or—"

"We don't need a MACUSA Studies lesson right now, but thanks," Claire said, not entirely unkindly. Bridgette shrugged.

"I just think it's interesting." She leaned back with her textbook for MACUSA Studies, licked a thumb and turned the page. Bridgette had been the first student in known history to be chosen by two houses but then chose for herself a different house of the four Ilvermorny houses. Both Wampus and Horned Serpent had chosen her, but she had thrown her thin shoulders back and marched straight for the Thunderbird statue, which gaped in confusion for a moment until it accepted her into its house. As soon as it had happened, the girls had known she needed to be in their group. None of them had accounted for how weird she could be, though.

"Okay, but guys? You know how the school's on the line?" Lizy said, fiddling with the golden Gordian knot on her school robe.

"Thalia," Claire said, thumping the table with a hand. "You've been awful quiet this whole time." Thalia heard her name and whipped her face back around, her long, bright-red hair swinging around in an arc. Her pale cheeks blossomed pink.

"What?" She said, her green eyes open wide.

"The school's—oh geez, what are you looking at?" Thalia had turned back around, but at this second reminder to listen to her friends, Thalia's face was red as a beet.

"Oh, uh—"

"She's staring at Ian Hendrik," Isadora said with a small laugh, drawing out the name like she was announcing a lottery winner, or a fight contestant.

"No!" Thalia blushed even deeper, considering crawling under the Pukwudgie table.

"Which one's Ian?" Sterling said, turning to look.

"No, don't all look! Oh my gosh..."

"Cute boys can wait!" Lizy cried, almost frantic. Then she shot to her feet. "Wait, that's him!" She said, her eyes bulging a little. Then she sat down, pretending she'd been looking for something, tucking her face behind her hand. "You guys!" She hissed. "Turn back around!"