The Angler's Secret

I was jolted awake by the sound of the tailgate slamming on Dad's old pickup truck. Yawning, I move to the window to find Dad outside, going through our tackle box to make sure all of our favorite hooks and lures were accounted for. This could only mean one thing. The day has finally come for our annual fishing trip- just me and Dad.

Most guys my age would rather sleep in than get up early for a trip like this, especially with no wifi or cell service, but for me, it's a blessing in disguise. My girlfriend, Brittany, and I just broke up the other week, so I've been looking for a distraction. I begged my dad to go on this trip sooner, but he had to go on this day specifically, just like every year. It's pretty odd if you ask me, but...

"Dave, Alex, breakfast is ready!" my mom calls from downstairs. I race down and take my seat at the table. Dad comes inside soon after and does the same while my mom finishes putting food on the table. Mmm, homemade buttery biscuits, scrambled eggs, and sausage. Now that's a meal I'd take any day.

We dig in and finish fairly quickly. "Alright Alex, let's get going. We still have to pick up the bait," Dad said and leaves to get in the truck.

I put my plate in the sink and hug my mom. "Thanks for breakfast, it tasted great. Love you," I said.

"Love you too, honey. Now go have fun, and don't get into too much trouble, alright?" she responds, hugging me back. I nod and meet my dad in the truck.

𖥸

After that, we hit the road. Dad took his same old long route as usual. It never made sense to me why he always went that way when we could just take the shorter route and get to our fishing spot sooner. I guess that's Dad for you, though. He's always been weird like that.

We made a quick pitstop at a convenience store that was basically in the middle of nowhere. They sold everything from snacks to bait, so we always made sure to stop by on the way.

While Dad was getting the bait and a few snacks for both of us, I was busy looking at the old video game poster I'd wanted ever since I was a little kid. Every year, I would ask the store owner if I could have it, and every year, she would say no. I'd almost given up in asking, but for old time's sake, I did. To my surprise, she actually said yes. She was about to take it down soon anyways to put up something more new and eye-catching, so there wasn't a point in having it.

When I took it down, the first thing I noticed was an old missing-persons poster from 1967. Four teens from the area- two girls, both cheerleaders, and two boys, a star quarterback and another local kid- just disappeared one night after a football game.

That's creepy. I'm pretty sure Dad was a teenager back then. I wonder if he remembers hearing anything about that.

I called him over and showed him the poster. When I asked if he heard about them, he just shook his head and said, "Doesn't ring a bell. Now, let's get going before we miss out on all the good fish."

𖥸

We sat out in our boat for hours trying to catch at least one fish, but none came our way. It was a bit frustrating since we always managed to catch something. Plus, it didn't help the fact that Brittany kept coming back in my mind.

So much for that "distraction".

"Maybe we ought to head home early since the fish aren't biting today," I suggested, started to get bored.

Dad shook his head. "No, I come out here every year to fish and always bring something back. This year won't be any different. We're not leaving until at least one of us catch something to show for it all."