Chapter 1 Shadow

I ran through the dark shadows of the alleys, jumping and sliding over and under anything that stood in my way, zigzagging around the trash that littered the ground. My pursuer wasn't far behind, which was exactly how I wanted it. You could already hear their labored breathing, well at least I could, but that was only because of my highly trained ears. They were obviously having a hard time keeping up, seeing how they were slowly falling farther and farther behind, so I decided to go easy on them and finish this game by taking a quick left followed by a sharp right into a dead end.

Quickly stepping into the shadows I watched as my pursuer slowly came to a stop, trying to catch his breathe while keeping his guard up. Rolling my eyes I slowly circle him, getting closer and closer, the moonlit sky shining down on his sweaty face. I stop circling as I come up from behind him tapping him on the shoulder. He stiffens as he takes a step away from me while slowly turning around, trying to not look directly at me.

Looking him up and down I only now realize how completely huge this guy really is. Biceps as big as my head, if not bigger, an eight-pack for abs that you could easily see through his skin tight white shirt, and he was a good foot taller than me. I took in all this in about a whole second and a half, although it felt much longer.

Giving him my signature smirk I quickly give him a good kick to the chest and drop down using my legs to swipe him off his feet. Then, jumping on to his chest I give him one good punch to the face and he's out for the count. Slowly dragging his body over to a broken lamp I pull out a set of large hand cuffs that barely fit around his wrists and cuff him to the pole.

Grabbing his bag of loot that he'd just stolen from the bank earlier that night I begin to rummage through, grabbing a couple hundred dollar bills. After taking a small part of the money and stashing it in one of my many hidden pockets I throw the bag back to where the man lay unconscious and begin to disappear into the shadows.

Gliding silently now on the rooftops I come the a stop as I feel someone nearby. "What do you want now Bats?" I call out into the dark night.

"You know, normally heroes don't steal the money they've retrieved from a burglar" I turn to my right to find batman slowly coming out of the shadows looking at me with that face with no emotion, except for the barely noticeable questioning smirk playing across his lips.

"Well I suppose it's a good thing I'm not normal or a technical hero then, isn't it?"

"Briar I-"

"DON'T call me that. Briar isn't here anymore, so I guess you're just gonna have to get used to it Bats." I spat at him. I never lost my cool except for whenever anyone called me by that name. That name that no longer belonged to me.

"Yes, right, my apologies. SHADOW, I was wondering if you would like to put your... talents, to better use ...?"

"What? You don't think I'm putting them to good use NOW?" I teased him, knowing what he thought of the way I used my skills.

"There's a team of young superheroes, kind of like your self, who are very skilled and have been of great use to the justice league. I was thinking you might consider joining?" He had a hopeful expression on his face.

"Hmm, I would have to work with a team? I don't know Bats, you know that's not my thing"

"Robin joined"

"What?! I thought you guys preferred to work 'alone'" I was seriously confused. Robin? On a team? With other teens? He definitely wasn't the same as Bats.

"Yes, we'll it seems the team has been good for him. I think it would prove to have an even better affect on you. Will you at least think about it?"

"I don't know Bats. I'm not exactly a people person and I don't exactly think that they would be very welcoming, considering my... background" I looked down, and pulled out the money in my pockets.

"I think they would understand. It's not your fault you didn't have any other way to survive... that you still don't"

I stood there quietly for a minute, thinking. If I don't go I would still be on the streets, saving people, catching bad guys, and stealing. I would be alone without any company, not that I minded, and I wouldn't have anywhere to stay. A thought formed in my head.

"Say I agree, is there a place I would be able to stay?"

"You would stay at the teams headquarters, you would get a room to yourself, with a bed, and you would be able to eat three meals a day, plus snacks"

A whole room to myself? Three meals a day? With snacks? And a BED?! I hadn't had any of those things in years.

"The team? What about them? I'm assuming you have missions and training and what not?"

"The usual" was his curt reply. I could tell he was hiding his happiness at my interest in the team. I was extremely good at reading people, I had to be if I wanted to live.

"I'm thinking, give me a minute" I stood there pondering all my options, which weren't very many. Finally I came to a conclusion and looked up at Batman's face, which was staring at my intensely, studying my every move, trying to look for what my answer would be. "All right, I'll check your little mini justice league team out. But I make no promises, I wanna know what I'm getting myself into before I actually commit. I'm assuming you have files you can show me...?" A small smile spread across his lips, he could obviously tell that I had already made my decision.

"Of course"

**********

A/N

Hi! So I know this is probably AWEFUL, so I'm sorry if it is! But if you have a problem with it then you don't have to read it :/

So, this is my first chapter of my first story on Watt pad! I LOVE the show Young Justice, and I REALLY wanted to make my own character for it, so here it is! Constructive criticism is VERY appreciated! Thanks to anyone who reads this! Tell me what you think!