Chapter five

Tony heard voices talking as he was about to wake up. Those voices made him not to open his eyes just yet.

"It's been a long time since the last one.." a feminine voice sighed and went on: "And this was way worse, so it has to be something big, I guess."

"Something big? Since the last one? Has he had these more than this once? Did something bad happen? You were at the game together, right?" a little more unfamiliar, but still a voice Tony knew, babbled.

"Yeah, but this happened when I was looking for Bucky and Pietro with Clint. And yeah-" the feminine voice was cut off.

"He's gonna be okay. I texted Pepper, she isn't answering my calls", FINALLY a voice Tony knows right away, Bruce.

Okay at that point Tony had figured the feminine one belonged to Natasha, but the third one was still  mystery him.

"Where.. Where was Pepper during all this?" the third one blurted.

It was Steve. Steve was the one asking all those questions. Why the heck was Steve there, was what Tony thought to himself. He decided to make them realize he was awake.

"Ugh.. Where am I?" he murmured.

"Tony!" the three gasped in unison.

"How are you feeling? Is the attack gone?" Bruce asked giving Tony water.

"Somewhat yeah. What am I doing here?" Tony wanted to know, he already figured they were at Bruce's.

"You were... really bad. Your parents are out of town, so taking you home was out of question. And Bruce offered his place, so I drove us here", Natasha explained.

Tony nodded. He was pretty sure Natasha left Steve out on purpose.

"Tony, can you remember what caused your panic?" Bruce questioned.

"I just recall going to get something to drink and then I heard Pepper.. Oh god Pepper-" Tony felt the panic creeping back.

"Pepper? Oh man it's starting again!" Bruce yelped sitting next to Tony, taking the panic-y one into a big hug and then hussing him: "Tony it's okay. I'm here. Everything's fine. Just breath, in and out."

Thank god Bruce knew how to calm Tony down. At least when the panic attack wasn't on already.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tony had fallen asleep again. This time when he was waking up he felt a warm, big, somehow safe feeling hand stroking his cheek and hair. His eyes went wide open. Steve, who was the one stroking Tony, surprised and jumped back a little.

"What the heck were you doing? Why are you still here?" Tony grunted.

"Uh Nat went to buy some groceries and Bruce is trying to find.." Steve didn't finish his sentence.

Tony raised his brow. What is Bruce trying to find? Why isn't Bruce the one with him, and Steve the one looking for that thing? Or better yet, why wasn't Steve minding his own business. The truth was, Bruce was looking for Pepper. Remembering Tony's last reaction to when Pepper was brought up, Steve didn't want to take the risk of that happening again.

"Okay whatever. But why the heck are YOU here?" Tony demanded.

"There was no way we were going to leave you all alone. What if something happened again? No way we were going to take that risk", Steve addressed.

Steve could have easily been the one to go to the grocery store leaving Natasha with Tony. However Steve wanted to be the one left at Bruce's. That way he was able to be with Tony and pretend they were something more. No. Steve wasn't going to admit that that was what he wanted. No, he wanted to pretend they were friends. Yeah, friends who spent time together. Friends who might've cuddled. Not much, just a little. Definitely friends, that was totally what Steve wanted.

"Oh, Tony, you're awake. You want something to eat or drink?" Natasha asked when she entered Bruce's apartment.

Oh fu-, why hadn't Steve offered Tony something to eat, or at least drink. Tony got up and went to the kitchen. He slouched to one of the kitchen chairs. Natasha poured him some orange juice and sat to the opposite side of the table.

"Grilled cheese would be nice", Tony said.

"I can make that!" Steve jumped up and made his way around the couch to the kitchen.

"Wait, what time is it?" Tony questioned.

"3pm. It's saturday. The first time you fell asleep you slept through the night", Natasha answered.

"Wow.. Did you sleep here too?" Tony asked Natasha.

"Nah, I had to go home. But Steve did. He didn't want to leave you guys, in case of something happening", Natasha hummed.

Steve blushed a little. Natasha could have left that out. Tony didn't have to know about that. Steve was ready for a storm, but nothing happened.

"Oh", was all Tony said.

Oh? What was that supposed to mean? Was Tony.. Was Tony okay with that? Steve felt happy thinking that Tony might finally accept him. He gave Tony a plate of grilled cheese sandwich.

"I'm sorry guys. I didn't find her and she still isn't answering her phone", Bruce apologized entering his house.

Natasha nodded, but Steve, Steve didn't. Pepper was Tony's GIRLFRIEND and she was nowhere to be found. She was supposed to be the one comforting Tony.

"I'll go find her", Steve hissed.

He was determined to find Pepper and let some fumes out. However his trip was cut short at the door. It was Bruce.

"If you're going after Pepper, please don't", Bruce whispered.

"But SHE is his girlfriend! What kind of girlfriend just ignores her boyfriend, especially at a time like this?" Steve pretty much whisper-yelled.

The two of them started to have this conversation with looks. Bruce was not letting Steve go, and he tried to calm down the bigger one. Steve however was not going to let this slide between his fingers. To him, what Pepper was doing, was unacceptable.

"I understand, you're angry. We all are. But I think Tony needs you here.. He just seems a little more calm when you're around", Bruce convinced Steve.

Tony needing him and seeming more calm around him? Steve wanted to go after Pepper, he really did, but if Tony needed him there, he was going to stay.