"Elizabeth, I care for you very much, I..." He paused again, looking down at the ground.

Elizabeth felt herself holding her breath; she felt as though her heart might burst at his declaration of affection. She had never seen him struggle with words like this before. He had always been so sure of himself, at least on the outside.

Edward swallowed hard and looked up at her again, taking her hand in his. "Elizabeth, I would like to ask for your father's permission to court you, if you're agreeable to it, that is."

Elizabeth stared back at him, feeling like time and space had come to a stop around them. She was aware of the way he was hanging on for her answer, his blue eyes probing her face with hope in their depths. Elizabeth studied his face, the way he gingerly held her hand in his, the way he gazed expectantly back at her.

Lord, is it possible that Edward is the man You have made for me? I want to tell him yes, a thousand times yes!

Before she could give him her answer, a loud rustling sounded from the trees to the right of where they were seated. Elizabeth jumped at the noise, and Edward jerked his head toward the place where the sound originated.

"Who's there?" Edward shouted, jumping to his feet.

No answer sounded from the trees, only more rustling; whomever or whatever had been there was moving quickly away from them.

Edward grabbed Elizabeth's hand. "Let us go, now. I don't think that was an animal lurking in the woods, but I don't want to stick around to find out." Edward pulled her along quickly toward the place where their horses were tethered to a tree.

"Edward? Do you think someone was watching us?" Elizabeth asked, shuddering at the thought.

"I'm not sure. It was definitely suspicious, though." Edward untied her horse's reins and moved to help her mount.

As he reached for her, she placed her hands on his shoulders. "Edward?" she said softly.

He stopped and looked down at her, his hands resting on her waist. "Yes?"

Elizabeth looked down and then lifted her eyes to his. "My answer is yes."

Edward's face broke into a huge smile. "Wonderful." He reached out and wrapped a strand of her hair around his finger, sending tingles through her. "You have made me very happy," he grinned.

Elizabeth blushed and smiled back at him.

"May I kiss you once more?" He moved a little closer and lowered his eyes to her lips.

"Yes, please..." she breathed.

Edward lowered his lips to hers and kissed her softly. Elizabeth felt that she would surely melt in his arms. His fingers were still wrapped in her hair.

Reluctantly, she broke the moment. "I suppose we need to be going..."

"Yes, of course," Edward released her hair and helped her up onto her horse.

Elizabeth quickly braided her hair and tied it off with a ribbon she found in the pocket of her jacket, while Edward untied his horse and swung into the saddle.

As they nudged their horses to a walk, she noticed him looking at her braid.

"Such a pity," he said, shaking his head, grinning.

Elizabeth blushed. "Edward... I can't very well return from a ride with you looking completely disheveled."

Edward laughed, "No, I suppose you very well cannot. Your father would surely get his shotgun after me." He grinned at her.