Chapter six: An awkward situation

Start from the beginning

“If you don't want me around to protect you, then I'll tell the police and your mom---”

“Sydney, ma chére---Oh! Cole, darling, I didn't know you're here and tell me what?” Jacque eyed us warily.

“Ms. Babineaux, Syd---”

“Tell you that he wants to hang around here...” ...like an insect. I wanted to add but stopped myself. Jacque's ears perked up after hearing that.

“Really? That sounds great, Cole. Sydney, is very bored---oh! Speaking... Your friends are downstairs. This is great, ma chére. I'll tell Constance---our new family chef and a patisserie. I could say the best patisserie in town---to prepare something delicious. Jacque ranted and went out before I can even say anything. I raised my hand with a cast---forgetting that it's injured because of frustration—to my forehead and winced as the pain was registered by my sensory neuron.

“Hey. I said be careful.” Cole warned me again, but I shot him my deadly stare. “Waah..Scary-ish..” He chuckled and went to ruffle my hair. This matter is so far out of my hands. What will my friends gonna say about this? About Cole being here? They've already bombarded me with annoying questions since yesterday when the news article circulated and the tweets on twitter might be trending already. I didn't check my phone since yesterday, afraid to see what's in it. My friends have been texting me probably and came here to check me out since I was missing in action.

“You.” I pointed my forefinger at him. “Stay here.” I warned him before I went out of my room.

====####====

The girls are in the living room, chatting noisily as usual like there's no end to their senseless gibberish when I reached the living room area on the second floor.

“Girls tuned down, will you? You're giving me one hell of a headache.” I complained as soon as I entered the spacious living room. The girls stood up automatically and darted toward me. Lucy gave me a bear hug. I rolled my eyes, but was a bit touched, I should admit. Lucy is the closest to me among the girls and the least mean among us. I could say, I like her the most in spite of her loud, gossipy mouth. The others gave me a peck on the cheek.

“We're glad you're OK, Syd.” Lucy said and the other girls were in accord.

“That was terrifying!” Carol squeaked.

“Yeah. We thought a bomb exploded or something.” Samantha said and the other girls commented in agreements.

“Well, thanked God it wasn't or I might be in hell now.” I said without humor. I'm still a bit sensitive talking about the unfortunate incident.

“So... Anyway, about the headlines, I'm pretty sure you've heard or read about it...” My brow creased as Lucy started. I'm kinda guessing where's this conversation is heading to. This is the thing I just don't certainly like about Lucy, her love for a good gossip. “About you and Cole---”