Chapter Six

Monday afternoon, I slammed my locker door shut and headed over to the auditorium doors where Ansel was standing among a crowd of other kids, mostly girls. "Hey Ansel, can I ask you a huge favor?" I said, pulling him aside.

"My car wasn't working again this morning, so I had Stella give me a ride to school. She had to leave early for a doctors appointment right after school and my mom is at work, so can I ride home from school with you?" I asked.

"Actually, I have auditions for the musical this afternoon, but I was gonna give Neil a ride home too after I finished my audition. He's just gonna stick around for a little while so you can do the same if you'd like," Ansel replied.

"That's fine. Thank you so much. And good luck at your audition, by the way. I know you'll do amazing," I told him, giving him a quick hug before he headed into the auditorium with the other kids.

I entered the auditorium from the back door and took a seat in the very last row so that no one would notice my presence. I drifted off into thought while the director came in and started explaining the rules of the drama club and auditions. I snapped out of my daydream when I heard the door behind me slam. I watched as Bree MacDuncan came strutting down the aisle in her miniskirt and heels. I sank down in my seat as she passed to avoid her noticing me, which wasn't too complicated since I was so short.

"Sorry I'm so late. I had trouble finding the auditions," Bree shouted over the director's voice. He shot her a harsh glare as she came and sat in the seats with the other kids. Of course, she had to sit down right next to Ansel. Now he had Hadley on one side and Bree on the other. I gritted my teeth.

Right as the first girl went up to audition, I heard the door behind me open quietly again, and I whipped around to see Neil sneakily closing the door and plopping down in the seat beside me. "Oh hey, Mallory. What are you doing here?" he asked, setting his book bag down in the floor.

"Ansel is gonna give me a ride home after he auditions. He said he was going to do the same for you too," I replied.

"Yeah, I would've sat down in here earlier, but Bree MacDuncan just would not stop flirting with me in the hallway. She's so annoying," Neil spat.

I watched as Hadley leaned over to whisper something to Ansel. "So what do you think of Hadley?" I asked Neil.

"Oh, she's ridiculously hot. She's seems a little mysterious though. Ansel seems to know everything about her, but he refuses to tell me where she's been the last five years," he replied. "She's still hot though. I don't know why Ansel likes you instead of her."

I turned to scowl at him, and I noticed that he had pinkish-reddish streaks in his slightly long, dark hair. "What's with the pink hair?" I asked.

He sighed. "My sister just turned twelve this past Saturday. My dad let her dip dye her hair hot pink, and she would not leave me alone until I let her dye part of my hair pink," he scoffed.

I snickered. "My mom has been gone on a 'business trip' for the past five years and my sister doesn't really know how to handle herself," Neil continued.

"Yeah, my parents are gone a lot too," I said.

"Alright, I think I've heard enough. Next!" I heard the director shout at the girl auditioning.

"I can see why. She was awful," Neil said kind of loudly.

"Gee, you have no filter, do you?" I said. He smirked and shook his head.

Both of us quieted down during Hadley's audition. She was really good. Like, really really good. Her acting was amazing, and her singing was even more amazing.