Chapter Twelve

I sat straight up, and was greeted by a blindfold over my eyes, my wrists and ankles bound with rope, and blood trickling down my face. I tried to scream, but there was thick duct tape stretched over my lips. My heart was racing and I could hardly breathe. I took deep, shaky breaths in and out through my nose, inhaling the scent of rust, metal, body odor, and blood. The car was lurching forward at top speed, and my insides felt like they were turning to mush. I tried to stand up, but as soon as I did, the van went around a sharp turn and I was thrown the other direction, hitting the floor hard.

I twisted my wrists and ankles in an attempt to get out of the rope, but it was no use. I tried to scream again as the rough material scraped at my skin. I tumbled across the room once more as the car took another sharp turn. Trying to calm down, I collapsed in the corner and listened to the white noise around me. All I could hear was the sound of road noise, rain hitting the roof of the van, and my heartbeat pounding in my ears.

With what little strength I had left, I lifted my arms to my mouth and tried to pry the duct tape off my lips. After a few moments of tugging, grunting and smearing blood all over my face, I finally managed to rip the duct tape off and stick it to the floor next to me. I then tried to tug my blindfold off, but it was no use.

Just when I thought I was going to explode with panic, I heard police sirens wailing in the distance. A feeling of hope bubbled inside me. I felt the car lurch forward at top speed as the sirens got closer and closer. I heard voices shouting outside, and then gunshots. I ducked down in the floor and screamed. Just where were they shooting at?

I whimpered as two more shots were fired, and after a third I heard glass shatter and tires squeal. The car felt like it did a donut, and suddenly everything went tumbling out of conrol. I shrieked as the van flipped over, crunching metal and setting off a car alarm.

I heard more shouts outside and sirens in the distance. I jumped as I heard the back door to the van break open and footsteps pounded on the floor. My blindfold was removed and light poured in for the first time in what felt like forever. All my worries melted away as I gazed up at Ansel's face. "Mallory. I'm so glad you're alive," he sputtered.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I was too stunned to speak. I remained silent as two medics hauled me into the ambulance on a stretcher. I glanced over just in time to see my uncle Albert laying on the ground, bloody and bruised, after being thrown from the vehicle. I let the sounds of car horns, alarms, screaming sirens, and anxious voices fade into a blur as I went unconscious once more.

.............................

I woke up in a hospital bed early in the morning. I was too sore and exhausted to move, so I just stared up at the ceiling and waited for someone to come into the room.

I was considering taking a nap when I heard the soft click of the door opening. "She's awake," the nurse murmured.

Next, my parents rushed into the room. "Mallory, honey. I'm so glad you're OK. As soon as I got the call, your dad and I rushed straight home," my mom said, giving me a kiss on the cheek, which is something she never does.

"We were worried sick about you. Your mother and I sat in the waiting room all night waiting for you to wake up," dad said.

"Sorry I worried you guys so much," I told them.

"It's not your fault," mom said gently.

I ended up having to explain the whole process of the party, and I'm pretty sure that the two of them were angrier than they let on.

"So this is Ansel's fault. If you hadn't gone to that party, then this never would've happened," my mom said, narowing her eyes.

"No mom, that's not the case at all," I exclaimed. "If I hadn't gone to the party, then I would've been home alone when uncle Albert broke in and he probably would've just shot me. Ansel is actually a lifesaver in this situation."