Chapter Six

• Dedicated to Ingrid Bartkowiak

Chapter Six – I think he’s a slime bag | Not Your Girl

Every day for the next week I would walk into school to see a new word spray painted in red scribbled letters across my locker. On this specific day the word WHORE had found its way to my locker. I groaned mentally. Looks like I’d have to stay after school yet again to scrub it off. Great.

My life had been a living hell ever since Ryder labelled me as ‘his girl’. Interesting but not surprising fact: just because I was Ryder’s girl didn’t mean that he couldn’t sleep around and make out with every other girl in the school at the same time. Yep, classic, slimy Ryder. Of course I felt sorry for these girls… but at the same time I was grateful that they had distracted Ryder enough that he hadn’t talked to me since he kissed me. He would always smirk at me but he seemed to be too distracted for talking. Thank God. Oh! If you were wondering, though it’s pretty obvious, I didn’t get school captain nor art captain. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. None. No art career for me. My life was over. My reputation was so low that it was legit below hell. I sat by myself at lunch times, with Ryder still on my back. I was treated like dirt, by teachers and students. It was starting to become a normal life habit. I would come to school, talk to no one, ignore Ryder the best I could, read the new word on my locker, scrub it off in the afternoon and go home to endure a lecture from my parents.

I closed my locker, my eyes flicking away from the word on it today. I was about to walk off when I walked straight into Ryder. I looked up shocked and about to apologize when I noticed it was him. My eyes lids drooped and I was about to walk away when he grabbed my shoulder.

“Hey babe, where you going?” Ryder asked his smirk widening across his face.

“I’m not your babe.” I snarled, shoving past him. Not to my surprise at all, he followed me. Forever stubborn, Ryder.

“Actually, yes you are. Remember? Bad boy’s girl? My girl?” Ryder asked, as if I needed to be reminded. His girl. Please. He didn’t own me. Did it even occur to him how much he had ruined my reputation? Did he even notice how miserable he had made me?

“Do you even care that you’ve ruined my life?” I asked, hatred ringing in my voice.

“Nope, I’m just glad that I won. I have you.” Ryder said, grinning at me. Oh course it didn’t occur to him. Of course he didn’t notice. Of course he didn’t care. He was Ryder McKnight, for god’s sake. He didn’t care about anybody except for himself. So I did what I always did when Ryder said something to me. I fought back.

“No you don’t. You don’t have me.”

“Yes I do. Stop denying it.”

“No you don’t, because no matter how many times; SLUT or WHORE is written across my locker I will never be the shallow girl in your bed. I will never be the girl to make out with you against a locker,” I snarled my voice animal like, “And hell, I will most definitely never kiss you.”

“Well, that’s awkward for you because you’ve already kissed me. Don’t you remember? Or do you need reminding?” Ryder asked a sly smile slipping onto his face as he stepped closed to me. I jerked away from him, instantly wrinkling my nose.

“I most definitely do not need reminding. I remember every feral part of it. I never kissed you Ryder. You kissed me. Kissing you is a choice I will never and am never going to make,” I then gave him a sarcastic smile, “So tough luck. You’re not getting anything out of me. The closest thing you’ll ever get to kissing me is falling under my power and forcing kisses upon me. Which I assure you, will never happen again. May as well go find one of your drooling girls to kiss you. At least they’ll actually participate.” Ryder squinted his eyes as me and I stormed off feeling slightly proud at my little outburst. I should have known that Ryder was too stubborn to accept the fact that I was never going to kiss him.