Chapter 5

"Ahem" Mary cleared her throat, making the nurses quiet again for the second time. Only once everyone was quiet and the only sound that could be heard was the chirping of the birds outside, did she continue.  "Welcome everyone! I hope your travels here weren't too strenous. All of the hospital staff of Pearl Harbor are so thrilled you could all come to help out! For your first day, we will tour the hospital so you can become familiar with it-say there's an emergency, you will be able to quickly and efficiently find your way around and know where to located needed supplies. And I know you're all a little worn out from your travels, am I right?" I couple ladies nodded their heads and I realized, now that she mentioned it, that I was a little weary. "Well, after the tour, we will let you all out early! How does that sound?" 

Mary beamed at everyone and I could instantly feel the mood becoming more relaxed and comfortable because of Mary's laid back attitude. Looking around, I saw most of the nurses already smiling. She could really work a crowd. 

"Are there any questions before the tour begins?" All was quiet. "Alright then" Mary said, clasping her hands together and walking toward the door. "Please follow me. And if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask."

Everyone followed Mary out the door into the hallway, me taking up the rear. I turned back when I realized Carol wasn't following. "Aren't you coming?" I asked her, wondering if she was really gonna make Mary do the tour by herself. 

Carol shrugged. "Oh, I think I'll let Mary handle this one by herself. She loves the attention and I think  she would love leading the tour. That's Mary for you." I thought about how confident Mary was with the group and realized Carol was right. 

I was walking back to the door to catch up with the group when I heard Donald complaining in the background. "Ahhh! Why'd they all have to leave? Just my luck, they all leave as quickly as they come." I briefly glanced over my shoulder and saw his pouting face. It was utterly adorable, the way his lip was jutting out and his honey blond hair flopped down into his face. 

I couldn't help but laugh a little. Men,  I thougth to myself, what would we do without them?

The tour took less than half an hour, as the hospital wasn't especially big and the fact that Mary was very efficient, while still coming off as friendly and welcoming. I would have to ask her for tips about public speaking. 

Everyone seemed really excited about starting their first real day tomorrow, not that I could blame them. I was extremely excited myself. I mean, we were in Hawaii for goodness sakes! What could possibly go wrong in paradise?

Gradually, the nurses all started to head off in small groups, first finding out which of them were bunked together in the same house and deciding to find their new homes together. The army provided the nurses with houses to stay in while they were on duty and there were usually five to six of us to a house. 

I asked around, trying to figure out if anyone else wasstaying in the same building as me, but they all sadly shook their heads at me apologetically. I became slightly nervous, wondering why I didn't seem to have been placed with any of the other new recruits. 

Soon, it was only Mary, Carol, Donald and myself left in the hospital room. Mary and Carol both grabbed their purses and reapplied their lipsticks in the small mirror on the wall. Donald got up also, making sure not to bump his small cast on anything. 

Mary was styling her hair when she noticed me in the background of the mirror sitting on one of the beds. "Do you need a ride, Suzy?" I shook my head, giving a small smile. "My boyfriend, Danny is going to pick me up soon. But thanks for asking." I told her. 

Mary appeared to be thinking seriously. Her eyebrows knit together, a small line appearing on her forehead. She tapped her lips rhytmatically, a habit I would later learn she did when she was trying hard to remember someone or something. 

"Your Danny wouldn't happend to be Danny Winston, would it?" She asked me. I nodded my head eagerly. "Yes that's him." I confirmed, excited that she knew him. "How do you know him?" She smiled at me. "Oh, we've met a couple times here and there at parties and get togethers.  Danny's a riot! You're a lucky girl. Danny's one of the easiest guys to get along with here."

"Hey!" Donald whined, hearing this over the conversation he'd been having with Carol. "I said one of, Donald" she shot back, laughing a little. She turned back to me and rolled her eyes a little, though Donald wouldn't be able to seee her do it. 

"Anyways, since it's your first day here, does Danny have anything special planned?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. I punched her arm lightly, starting to blush at what she was hinting at. "He's actually taking me on a tour of the island." I admitted, again touched by Danny's sweet gesture. But, then again, everything about Danny was sweet and meaningful. 

"Oh, I know an awesome place to watch the sunset!" Carol piped in, "It's a little off the beaten path,  but it's sure worth the time it takes to get there. Why don't you join Donald and I up there tonight? It'll be a hoot!" She promised. 

"Yes! And Thomas and I could come too! It'd be like a triple date!" Mary claped her hands excitedly. I thought about how it was originally just supposed to be me and Danny, but I knew that Danny wouldn't mind if others came around. It could be really fun! 

Mary must have taken my hesitation for doubt because she put her hands together in the begging gesture. "Please, Suzy! Please! Think of how fun it'd be!" I laughed at her puppy dog expressioin. "I think that sounds fun! But would you all mind waiting here until Danny gets here?" All three of them nodded, agreeing. 

"Where are you staying?" Mary asked suddenly. "210 Willowmore St." I said automatically. Before I'd come, I'd gone over the name so many times in my head that I didn't even have to think about it anymore. 

Mary and Carol smiled widely, though I didn't understand why. "Us too!" They nearly squealed. "Seriously?" I asked, excitement bubbling up in me at the thought of rooming with people I'd already become friends with. 

"Yes! Oh this is gonna be so much! We can all have sleepovers, and give each other manicures, and talk about boys..." Mary continued to ramble on, but as she kept listing things we would all be abel to do together now that we were all roommates, I began to space out. Mary could sure talk fast when she got on a role. 

"You better get used to that" Carol, who was standing by me, said in a low voice that Mary couldn't hear. "She sure likes to talk" I agreed. "Yeah, but you adapt to it." Carol added. "And you're the calm and collected one right?" I asked her, teasing. "Something like that," she said, smiling.

Mary was still talking when Carol interrupted her. "Hey, why don't we all wait outside for Danny?" Mary didn't seem to care that she had been interrupted. She was probably used to it.

We began to make our way out to the doors to wait for Danny to arrive. I could hardly wait.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone who has stuck with this story! It really means a lot to me and I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Feel free to comment or vote!