What would Aunt Issabeth do?

Lillya cleared her throat and hoped her voice was steadier than she was. "We need to get out of here. Grab your packs if they're still here."

Trembling fingers retrieved packs. Pippa stuffed her strewn objects back into her bag. Issabeth's pack just sat there, discarded. Lillya reached for it. It felt like heartache. Plus, it was heavy. She could not haul this pack in addition to her own. They were going to have to redistribute the useful items.

Lillya dug into Issabeth's pack, feeling sick to her stomach. If Aunt Issabeth came around the corner and saw— A lump formed in her throat. That would be wonderful. She would be so happy to run three furlongs as punishment if her aunt popped up behind a tree and said this was all some elaborate ruse.

"We need to split up some of these things," Lillya forced herself to speak aloud.

Dejected scavengers, the girls took blankets and cooking supplies, hooks and poles. The group was rapidly overloaded, but they had no idea where they were and no idea what they might need. Eventually the pack was light enough for Lillya to carry. She slung it and her own bag over her back.

"Looks like I have half a day's worth of emergency food," said Lillya, trying to sound hopeful. "Let's find some water, eat, and figure out what to do." She looked at the dark, gnarled trees in all directions. "Which—which way do we go?"

"Downhill," more than one girl murmured.

They chose a course and set off together, a blackened, scratched-up, and generally bedraggled group. They walked in silence, giving Lillya too much time alone with her thoughts. Those people, whoever they were, had come for her. She was sure of it. They would come back to finish the job. She wanted to be home so badly.

"Listen," exclaimed Iris.

Lillya's heart was thudding in her ears too hard to listen, but Pippa exclaimed, "Water!"

Suddenly they were running as fast as their overladen packs and the hard-packed root-strewn landscape would let them. The sound of rushing water grew louder as they ran, until they broke out of the trees and stopped, open-mouthed. Packs thudded to the ground as they marveled at the sight of a waterfall high above them, plunging down from towering cliffs. Sunlight sparkled off the roaring water.

"This is Diamond Falls," said Lillya. "I know where we are."

Little good knowing did. They were on the wrong side of the Ascleon mountain range in terrifying Thorn Forest. No wonder the trees looked malevolent. Half a day of travel south would put them in Bellican territory. Lillya had met a few Bellicus, and she preferred not to take a chance on their hospitality, no matter how fond they were of her mother.

It was a good place to stop. Lillya dug out the remaining food from Aunt Issabeth's pack, and the girls distributed it evenly. They were going to need another food source soon.

"If we follow the river," suggested Jadelynn, "maybe there's a quiet place where we could fish. We have all the fishing gear."

The girls agreed on this course of action, but no one wanted to move right away. The waterfall was stunning, and the sunlight was welcome.

Lillya used the time to dig through the rest of Issabeth's pack. She found some climbing equipment at the bottom, shuddered over what Aunt Issabeth envisioned them climbing, and moved to the pockets. A hard, flat object was sealed behind one.

"Of course," Lillya exclaimed, digging out the object with trembling fingers. The mirror! Aunt Issabeth could use the enchanted mirror to communicate with Crystal Palace. The pocket refused to open, despite her frantic tugging. Lillya stopped and breathed. The pocket was securely tied. She could barely convince her hands to be still long enough to undo a knot, but she persevered.