Kelsey nodded, looking horrified. I sighed and went back to relaxing against the backseat. I closed my eyes, suddenly exhausted, but glad the girl was no longer having a mental breakdown.

“Viktoriya?” Kelsey’s soft voice was just above a whisper.

I peered at her under heavy lids. “Yes?”

Her lips silently formed the question, “What is he?” her eyes traveled to Nathan.

Again, I felt a little put off by Kelsey’s interest in Nathan, but I told myself her curiosity was to be expected. After all, he had touched her, and I knew as well as she did that no human touch could do what his did.

I shook my head indicating her guess was as good as mine. She gave Nathan one last speculative look, before giving up and snuggling into the car seat. Finally, some peace and quiet.

But peace and quiet, I did not get. I should’ve known better.

“I need to by a baby monitor,” Larson said just as I was drifting to sleep.

I mumbled, “You’re joking?” I must be dreaming.

“Dead serious—no pun intended.” He laughed at his joke, but no one else joined in. “Where can I buy one?”

I sat up, awake to my displeasure. “Please, don’t tell me you knocked up Trish.”

He chuckled at my accusation. “Certainly not, love. She’s too old to procreate.”

“Good to know. So tell me then, what’s with your sudden need for a baby monitor?” Larson could be so random at times.

“Surveillance. On Psymon.” I guessed that was Lanky’s real name. “And since I don’t exactly have the time to set up a security camera, I figure a baby monitor will suffice. This way, I can at the very least hear what he’s up to.”

“But he’s a vampire. Won’t he be like…silent? How will a baby monitor help?”

I didn’t see it, but I could hear the smile in his cryptic voice. “You probably wouldn’t hear anything, but I would.”

“Fine. I guess, you could try Target,” I told him.

Without warning, he jerked the car wheel, making a hard right and crossing three lanes of freeway to catch an approaching exit.

“Was that necessary? I think you gave me whiplash,” I complained, rubbing my neck. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kelsey sleeping soundly. Guess she was a heavy sleeper. Lucky girl.

A few minutes later, we were pulling into the Target parking lot. Larson parked the Escalade in a spot that was nearest to the entrance, and well lit. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a wad of cash.

“I trust your judgment,” Larson said.

“You’re going to send me in there?” I asked incredulously.

“Would you rather I go? I haven’t fed in a while love; don’t want me near all those tasty looking shoppers, do you?”

I remembered our earlier incident where I narrowly escaped being Larson’s dinner. “Yeah, good point. I’ll be back,” I told him, taking the cash and hopping out.

Just as I was approaching the entrance to the store, I realized Nathan was tagging along.

“What are you doing?” I asked glancing sideways at him.

Nathan watched me with fierce blue eyes. “It’s not a good idea to have you walking around alone after what happened tonight. Atlas might be looking to finish what he started.”