Chapter 1: A Dragon's Heart

If only I didn’t ask for the chocolate.

That was the reason behind this whole mess.

I was having a particularly rough day on my period. I had taken a few pain relievers, but the cramps just didn’t seem to go away. I had spent the last hour curled up on the couch, watching White Chicks. Even the stupidest movie alive couldn’t distract me from the pain. Convinced I was dying, I told my mom.

“Oh honey, it’s okay. Want me to pick up some Tylenol at the market?” She asked, rubbing my back soothingly.

“No, I already took some… But I would like some chocolate.” I confessed. She chuckled that warm way she usually did, and stood up from the couch.

“The usual?” She asked, already reaching for her purse and car keys.

“Aw mom, I’m not going to send you out there just for chocolate.” I gestured to the rainy weather, and immediately winced. My cramps seemed never ending.

“Hey, us girls have got to stick together.” She winked, and I rolled my eyes.

“Alright, but I’m paying.” I said sternly, and she sighed.

“Hey ducky, you calm down. I’m your mother and if I can’t buy you a chocolate bar then I might as well step off the face of the world.” She threw her hands up in the air dramatically, and I managed a small smile. I watched as she walked over to me, her short brown hair bouncing against her petite frame.

“I’ll be back soon, my little duck.” She kissed my forehead and frowned.

“What is it?” I asked, reaching for my head. I didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary.

“You feel feverish. Are you sure you took pills?” She furrowed her eyebrows in concern, and I nodded. I definitely took pain reliever today. I watched as she mulled over that fact, and then nodded her head.

“Stay safe, I’ll be back before you know it.” She kissed my temple again and then she was out the door.

I stared at the door long after she locked it, and imagined her walking down our short driveway to her old Camry. She bought it back in ’03, and never had the heart to trade it in or get a new car. My mom had a beautiful heart, and was an adamant believer that everything could be fixed.

Well, it turned out there was one thing that couldn’t be fixed.

Her marriage with dad ended a few years after she had me. Apparently he was seeing another woman, and they got married a few months after the divorce went through. Great guy, right? Dad has his own life now, with a different family. I don’t regret him leaving us, though. Mom and I have come very far, and our bond couldn’t get stronger. Not only was she my mother, but also my best friend.

I managed to roll over, trying my best to ignore the pains shooting through my lower abdomen. The clock read half past seven. Normally, I’d be getting ready to work the graveyard shift at the market. I called in sick a few hours ago, due to my grumpy attitude and unrelenting pains. Luckily this all started after I got home from school, otherwise I would’ve lost my few friends.