The Art of Spying

Start from the beginning

He grabbed what must have been his eighteenth pepper roll. He was mainly picking at them in an absent way now. She felt sure Alexander would have had Drake half mapped by now.

He asked, "Why there aren't other Sorceresses your age around?"

"Because I was the first," she answered absently. How had this conversation gone so off track? "Kat showed up on my doorstep eight years ago and asked if I'd like to train at Crystal Palace."

"There has to be more of a story there," he said, propping his hand on his chin. "You're more interesting than you give yourself credit for."

"What I do is interesting," she admitted. "I'm not sure if that makes me interesting."

Honestly, she lived in a palace with a five-year-old who could melt walls and men who turned into horses every day. She was not even remotely magically unique.

"Hmm." He furrowed his brow, thinking that over. "Isn't what you do who you are?"

"A part, I suppose." She shrugged. "But one of the things we teach is that having magic doesn't define you. It's what you choose to do with the magic."

Drake took that in. "I like that." His guarded eyes and a calm demeanor were a frustrating shield to what he was really thinking.

"I don't normally talk about myself this much," she apologized.

"You should."

She tried to determine if he was genuine or purposefully shifting the conversation to her to avoid other topics, but she got avoided eye contact and a half smile in response. Maybe he was just shy.

"You're very good at not talking about yourself," she muttered.

He shrugged and popped a stuffed olive in his mouth.

Rosaliy officially gave up. She exhaled a breath, the stress of the day catching up to her. "Maybe I have just enough time to change before—"

"Rose," interrupted a loud voice across the hall. Her hidden nook was obviously not hidden enough. "There you are."

She winced involuntarily.

"Is there a smug-looking Baysellian behind me?" she whispered to Drake.

He tipped his head to catch a glimpse between two columns. "Yes, indeed."

"Has he actually seen me," she continued whispering, "or do I have time to hide?"

"He's seen you. I, however, might be able to escape," Drake offered.

His tone was teasing, but he did seem poised to flee.

"Don't you dare," she hissed. "If I'm stuck, you're stuck with me." Like a wild dog, running would just encourage Matias to follow her. She turned to catch sight of him across the Great Hall. He grinned and sauntered over in a way he clearly thought was charming.

Matias was one of Sorceress trainee Jadelynn's older brothers. The last time Rosaliy had the misfortune of seeing him was a few months back when he had dropped off Jadelynn for training. Sorceress arrival was Rosaliy's busiest time, and she had hardly noticed he was following her around until he decided to rise to the challenge of being ignored. He co-opted the kitchen staff into trapping her in a fancy dinner for two. The Crystal Palace staff dearly loved attempting to throw Rosaliy together with people her age, so they were happy to comply. She knew from experience their criteria for suitable men did not extend much past having a heartbeat and a respectable family, but even so, it was insulting for them to assume she might not have higher standards than Matias. He had been born a Baysellian prince, and despite being ousted from that cushy position eight years ago, he still behaved like if the world just knew better, it would revolve around him. After an entire, painful dinner, Rosaliy felt confident he would not remember one thing about her.