eight

...

What the hell do you mean she's not here?!" Sofía shouted at the guard working the visitation check in. "It's prison, where else could she possibly go?!"

"Ma'am we are allowed to disclose her current location, it's above my pay grade." The guard explained in a monotone voice. "The most I can tell you is that she volunteered to be a test subject for an experimental medication before she left."

Sofía was growing frustrated but she tried to remain calm. "What about her friend? Angie—Angie Telford?"

"I can't release information about an inmate to anyone other than family."

"Ay Dios mio, so what can you do?!"

The guard simply looked at Sofía and didn't say a word. They both looked at one another for a moment. Sofía in anger, the guard in indifference.

Sofía stormed out of the prison. Experimental medication? What the hell had Marisol been thinking?! Sofía needed to calm down, she would figure this out. She knew how to fix things, she always tried to fix all the problems that arose in the house. She could do this.

Sofía drove immediately to the public library. She had no computer of her own, so she'd use her resources to find one. She knew Angie's name and nowadays that could do so much. She just had to get to searching.

...

Marisol couldn't sleep. She assumed it was the new higher dose of vibranium zero she was being given. Every time she got a higher dose her energy would hit a peak. Or maybe she was still trying to shake the pain she went through. Her head was still throbbing even though it had been hours since Abernathy was working on her.

She was staring at a blank, dark ceiling. She did it every night for hours. She missed seeing the stars and the moon. She missed the sky.

She needed to get out of here. Her family was out there waiting for her. Marisol needed a plan of escape. Her only option was to kill Abernathy. Hayes wasn't going to be an issue and he had a family, Marisol couldn't kill him knowing that. She had no mercy for Abernathy though.

Marisol took the time she was awake to go over different plans. Most of them ended up being ignored as their chances of success were low. The best one required more waiting. Marisol wasn't sure she could more of that. But it would be worth it, at least that's what she thought.

Her plan was to learn to be able to have Abernathy relieve a particularly terrifying memory while she was out of her cell. It would incapacitate her and then Marisol could escape. But it would be difficult to trigger memories without any contact, it might even mean more vibranium. Marisol would do it though. She was committed to getting out of here, no matter what it took.

...

Sofía had essentially completed her research. She was able to look through Angie's old social media accounts and find out about her family. The best thing she could find was her older brother and where he worked. Sofía did the most normal thing possible and messaged him. It was a simple question "Can I ask you a question about your sister Angie?"