Chapter 12

"There's no way I'm going."

"But Ash!" I whined, walking after her, through to the kitchen where she put her cup in the dishwasher and started loading other dishes into it too from after lunch. "Why not? All I want you to do is to come, eat, make small talk and go home again. It's really not that hard."

She turned around quickly, making me take a few steps backwards. She lifted up her hand and closed her eyes, pausing before speaking. "Its not that," she said, slowly, opening her eyes. "I have a..date tonight. I met this guy, and I really think that he was sweet and he's really.. hot too, so I'm going on my date instead, alright?"

I nodded slowly, folding my arms and following her over to the table where she sat down, but I remained standing. "Who is this guy?"

She sighed a long sigh, waited, then finally said, "He's a friend of a friend." I raised my eyebrow, expecting more situation than just that. "Fine. You know Emma's boyfriend Chris? Its his brother."

"Uh-huh," I nodded, even though I had only met Chris once before and I had never seen his brother. Emma was Ashley's best friend since childhood, when they promised each other to be best friends forever and ever and ever. I guess they kept that promise pretty well. "So, where is this date? What are you wearing?"

She shrugged, and a small worried look appeared on her paled face. "I have, seriously. No. Clothes."

"You can wear some of mine if you want," I laughed, then continued. "I need a favour too. I need to borrow one of your dresses."

"What, is this like some wedding or something?"

"No.'' I grinned. "Luke's friend is coming home from Florida and he said to wear something dressy for the dinner." I scratched my face and ran a hand through my hair, crossing my legs as I sat down opposite Ashley.

"You do know that guy..can be dangerous. Right?"

I nodded, "I know," even though I didn't. He was perfectly fine to me. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him. Not to me, anyways.

"So..although you're, hanging out with Luke.." she sighed, "All I'm saying is, be careful. And I mean, I'm not saying that I like the fact that you hang out with this guy. Just, don't make a habit of it, alright?"

I looked down and picked nervously at my nails, choosing to ignore what she just said. I wasn't going to believe her, and I definitely wasn't going to stay away from Luke just because she wanted me to. Yes, she was family, but I promised Luke that he would be as important to me as she was. And I wasn't lying, because now I was starting to believe my promise myself.

"Whatever, I'm going upstairs to get ready. He said come by at seven-ish. You can give me a ride, yeah?"

"Sure." she sighed, getting up and going upstairs, where I followed her but to separate rooms.

When I pushed open the bedroom door, I glanced around and saw clothes lying here and there, scattered around the carpeted floor. The bed was fitted neatly in the corner of the square, red-painted room with a small desk beside it. The wardrobe was opposite the bed, so I picked my steps, hopping over pieces of clothing until I reached the wardrobe.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror, my eyes instantly searching for Luke's tattoo before attaching themselves to my neck. I had to say, it really was cute. Just the thought of Luke and I getting closer and closer each day made me blush. I lightly glided my fingers over the ink-markings, but it wasn't the same. My touch wasn't the same as Luke's. It just didn't feel right, I needed him here with me. Thank God I was going over to his house again this evening.