Chapter 7

"So," Luke began, wandering over the top of the kitchen table. "I think it's safe to say both of us are going through the same thing, then."

I shook my head, looking up at him. "No...Different."

"Are you okay?" he looked genuinely worried, his eyebrows creased together in the middle of his head. He sat at the table and took my hands across them, looking straight into my eyes with his sea-blue ones. "I'm worried for you."

My eyes flicked down to his hands on mine. They were warm and soft, but big enough to encase mine into them, making me feel somehow protected and safe for a moment. His thumb brushed repeatedly over my knuckles as he waited patiently for me to answer.

But instead I just said, "I'm worried too, Luke." It was okay for him, he didn't have anyone to hide from, I guess. I didn't wanna sound mean or selfish, but I really had a lot more to worry about than him. "If he comes back, i'm dead."

He looked thoughtful for a moment. "Well.. just so you know, I meant what I said earlier," He said quietly, obviously reffering to when he said he'd run away with me to keep me safe. Where would we go though, come to think of it? We hadn't the money to be renting stuff, and God knows it would probably be a waste sleeping in the forest or somewhere in hiding. His voice snapped me back into the real world. "I meant every word."

I nodded slowly. I know. I know you did, Luke, I said in my head, somehow struggling to get the words out. "But where would we hide..and how do we know where he will be? We could end up running into him, and we could be miles and miles away from him. So is there any poin-"

"Of course there is, Bel. Jesus Christ." His voice turned to a whisper as he disconnected his hands from mine and ran his hands through his hair in frustration. When he was finished, he said, "Of course there is. This is the difference between life and death, Isabella. And we need to get away as quick as possible."

"Okay." I answered finally. Maybe I should just go along with his plans. They may work, for all we know.

"Good," He sighed in relief. "Good. Wanna go get a drink then?"

-

I don't usually drink, but seeing as Luke had offered and all I figured why not? I wouldn't be having much, maybe one or two. I wasn't the drunk type, and doubt I ever will be.

"So, what are you up to this evening?" Luke asked as we walked down the street of the city. He kicked a pebble, sending it hopping along the concrete ground further and further away from us. He looked at me finally, his hands deep in his pockets.

"Nothing really, I guess. Probably go for a swim," I replied, nodding to him. "You?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Probably hang out with my girlfriend, I guess."

My mouth fell open. What? He had a girlfriend? He never told me that. I try to ignore the pang of jealousy in my chest, feeling like I had just been punched in the stomach. Why on earth was I even jealous? It wasn't like we were a thing, anyway. So I just answered, "Cool," despite the obvious envy in my facial expression that I uselessly tried to disguise.

"I'm joking." He laughed. I looked at him, confused. Why the hell would he joke about that? I ignore my thoughts and walk on.

We reached the bar on the end of the street, the sound of rock music seeping through the windows. Luke pushed through the door and let me enter first. I looked around; It was sparkling clean. People were scattered in bunches here and there, holding glasses and cans and bottles, laughing and talking. A couple more were sat up at the counter on high stools, and a few more in the next room sitting on couches that were opposite each other with coffee tables between them. There was a slight smell of alcohol in the air. "Want something?" Luke smiled.

I nodded slightly and started rummaging in my handbag for money. "Yeah, i'll um, have a, beer?"

That made Luke laugh, and he touched my arm softly, sending shivers through me. I didn't think Luke touching me would have this sort of effect on me. "I think you should hold off the beer. Get something lighter first," he grinned.

I nodded in return, although I had no idea of any other alcoholic drinks. I handed him a $10 bill. "Okay, you choose.  Thanks."

Pushing back my hand, he said, "Its on me." He winked. "No worries."

No sooner had Luke gone up to order, he came back holding a pint glass filled with something black with froth on the top and another normal sized glass filled with a sparkling clear liquid, like 7up. He flashed me a smile, his pearly teeth showing as he held out my glass. "Wanna go to the pool room? I ordered a basket of chips. That should keep us going."

I followed Luke through the crowds and we were soon inside a back room, a couple couches along the wall with a large-sized pool table in the center of the floor. I set my glass down and sat myself in the middle of the sofa, Luke placing himself beside me, no less than centimetres apart. We were sitting pretty close to each other.

I crossed my legs and took a sip. It was slightly fizzy, but somewhat delicious. As I had read in my book, it tasted like stars. It filled my mouth and as soon as I swallowed, I could feel the cold sensation streaming down my oesophagus to my stomach.

I turned to Luke, seeing him setting his drink on the table, a layer of white froth hooded over his pink lips, making me laugh. He laughed too. "What?"

"You look funny, " I giggled,  taking another sip.

"C'mon Bel, its the frothy stuff.''

"Still."

He lightly nudged my arm. "You look funny too."

"What, no!" I pouted hitting his arm.

"I'm kidding, Jesus Bel. You're fucking beautiful."

I smiled shyly and looked down as a blush creeped onto my cheeks. Did he really just call me beautiful?  Whatever he thought, that was definately the sweetest thing anybody has ever said to me. "No I am not."

"Yes you are," he smiled back, swallowing another mouthful before setting his glass on the table and rising to his feet. "Wanna play pool?"

"You think I can play pool?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

His lips were trying to hold back a smile as he picked up a cue from the table. "Yeah, why wouldn't you? I'll break."

"Luke."

He spun around. "Yeah, babe?" he smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm bored." If I was lying, Luke calling me 'babe' would have totally made me freak. In a good way, of course. I was just too tired now to deal with anything. All I really wanted to do was sleep, which I had been doing a lot of lately, or at least trying to.

"You're bored?" He looked hurt, his eyebrows scrunched together and raised in the middle. "Am I that bad?"

"Noo, no," I assured him, shaking my head, then faking a yawn, well, it seemed fake, but then when I actually yawned it felt real and needed. "I'm just a little tired. I might go to sleep for a while."

"Here?"

"Well I mean, if that's what you want.."

"I'll wake you when i'm finished," he smiled sweetly. I don't know if I should trust him or not. I didn't really want to be left here, in the city, with a drunken Luke or worse, no Luke at all.

In the end, I gave in. "Okay," I sighed, taking a small sip from my drink before leaving it back down. "But don't drink too much."

"Promise," He smiled back, turning again to the game set up in front of him. I closed my eyes and lay my head on the back of my hand and before I knew it, I was slipping into unconciousness.