"I know because I've used that technique. Approach, flirt, make them think you're nice, and then go in for the kill. I have to admit it's weird to be on the other end of that interaction," he elaborates as he scrutinizes me. "It's also weird because you don't look like a player at all."

"I'm not a player," I dismiss him with a shake of my head.

"Let me guess- you were going to sleep with me and, if I didn't hint at wanting you to leave after sex, you were going to sneak out of my apartment when I was asleep and never talk to me again," he guess as he waves his hands around as if weighing odds. I stare at him and slowly sip my drink, unsure of how to respond. He's not wrong. What do I say to that? "And you're not replying because you know it's true."

"Or maybe I just like flirting," I counter weakly with a quick glance up into his eyes. His lashes tangle together as he blinks dubiously at me.

"I don't have a problem with it. I can't. That'd make me a hypocrite. Maybe I should've let you play me so I could've gotten a taste of my own medicine," he ponders with a slow shrug. "I just want to know what made you think I was a good candidate to play."

"I wasn't trying to play you," I lie yet again. I know I should admit it but I can't bring myself to. "I wasn't trying to have sex with you either."

"Really?" he asks doubtfully. His thick brows raise on his forehead and his smile is unwavering.

"I wasn't," I fib as I strongly move my head side to side. His gaze is one of pure bliss and his smirk is knowing, so I shake my head again in an attempt to throw him off. When he doesn't even blink, I throw my hands up in frustration. "I wasn't!"

"Okay," he accepts, though I can tell I haven't convinced him. A silence falls over us as I silently fume about him not believing my lie. "But I know you think I'm cute."

"Ever hear of beer goggles?" I retort with a slight scowl. This lie may be pushing it. I openly called him cute a good two or three times. He even called me out for using the word.

"You weren't that drunk," he scoffs at me with crossed arms. I admire the way his muscles faintly show through the cloth of his sweater.

"I wish I was now," I mumble as I run an antsy hand through my hair.

"Alright, player," he coos with a smirk. I groan in frustration but he continues. "The whole pretending you don't know me card you pulled in the library- that was a nice touch, I must admit."

"I genuinely didn't remember," I continue in a horrible attempt at covering my tracks.

"Okay," he goes along with a large smile.

I groan as I kick off the counter, coming only inches from his chest. He doesn't move like I expected so I place a finger against his chest and lightly nudge him backwards. He chuckles quietly and takes two steps away from me. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find Carmen...Karla...the girl."

"You barely know her name," he gasps with raised brows.

"It was loud and I couldn't hear her," I confess. Though partially true, I also didn't really care enough to listen when she said it.

"Did you tell her your name?" he wonders as he takes my previous position against the counter.

I give him a flat look before taking another step back. "Even though I don't want to, I know I'll see you around," I bid him adieu before setting off on my search.

+++

I stare at my textbook, blinking back sleep. I look up at the computer screen and see that it's barely 2:45PM. I don't get out until 5 and it already feels like I've been here for seven years. Only two people have come in since I clocked in at 1 and both were here less than five minutes. I glance back at my bosses door and wonder how much trouble I'd get in if I get caught taking a nap. I shut my eyes for a second, figuring I'd rest them until the next person comes in.