Chapter One - First Day of School

ابدأ من البداية

Six and a half hours later, when the day is finally over, you decide to walk home with Ned and Peter instead of taking the bus. It's a bit of a long walk, probably forty-five minutes, but it's worth it to remain in the company of your best friends.

You're barely off the school grounds when Ned starts complaining that he has homework already. "I mean, come on! Who assigns homework on the first day!?"

"Your cruel teachers are the only ones, apparently. We don't have anything to do." Suddenly, you feel a little bit thankful that you and Ned don't share all of your classes. Some of the teachers he has in classes without you really are unfair.

"Since we don't have anything to do, think it's alright if I come over for a bit, (Y/N)?" asks Peter. "Better than both of us being home alone and bored out of our minds."

"Absolutely," you respond with a grin. "Don't worry, Ned, we'll plan something for this weekend that all three of us can do, okay?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll see you guys tomorrow, alright? Wish me luck." Begrudgingly, Ned turns down a street and starts walking in the direction of his apartment, and you and Peter continue on the way to yours. After another twenty minutes of walking and idle chit-chat, you reach the building, head up the stairs, and go inside your empty apartment.

You kick off your shoes and throw your bag on the couch, and Peter does the same, showing just how at home he is. He's been going to your place since you were kids, so it pretty much is a second home for him. That's the lovely thing about your parents being friends with Peter's parents. Before they died, when you and Peter were really young, your parents would get together and leave you and Peter to play in your room. It was devastating when Peter's parents died, but luckily, your parents and Peter's aunt May stayed in contact and your relationship with Peter never changed.

The pair of you head into your room, and immediately, you dart over to your large window and stare out at the streets of New York. The window is one of your favourite parts of your room, second only to the balcony just outside of it. It's a bit awkward to climb out of the window, but it's worth it to sit on one of the little metal chairs out on the balcony and cherish the city life. Especially since the outside world feels so big compared to your minuscule room, which can only fit a twin bed, a dresser, and a small desk with barely any room to spare. Even though the balcony is only a few square feet, it feels ultimately bigger than your bedroom.

Peter strolls over to your bed and flops down onto it, taking out his phone before starting to type, likely texting his aunt to let her know that he's at your place in case she comes home early.

"Want to watch YouTube or something?" you ask. Without waiting for a response you grab your laptop from your desk and flop onto the bed next to Peter. He slides to make room for you as you search YouTube and click on the first video on your recommended that catches your eye: a video of Spiderman saving a cat from a tree.

"This guy is so cool," you say as you click on the video. "He's so much more low-key and personable than the rest of the Avengers, I really like that."

"Yeah, he's, um... He's pretty great."

"You don't sound convinced. Not a fan?"

Peter's face flushes a light shade of pink, and he stammers, "N-No! I think he's really cool."

"'Really cool' is an understatement." You watch the video closely as Spiderman gently picks up a little kitten that was nestled in some branches and carries it down to the girl who must own it. That's the main thing you love about Spiderman. While the rest of the Avengers are busy saving the world or whatever, Spiderman always takes time to help the common folk.

"Keep a closer eye on him next time, okay?" asks Spiderman from within the video. With a wink—something his mask eyes must allow him to do—he waves goodbye to the gathered crowd and then swings off into the streets of New York.

"Doesn't his voice sound a bit familiar?" you ask, clicking replay on the video so you can watch it again. "I feel like I've heard it before, he might be someone that goes to our school!"

Peter chokes on air for a moment but manages to clear his throat and stammers, "N-Nah, I don't think so. He's probably some loser in his forties that, other than the superhero thing, never leaves his mother's basement where he lives because he's too busy playing video games."

You chuckle. "Being a little hard on the guy, huh? He's obviously young based on his voice, so you can throw your theory right into the trash. There is a genuine possibility that we could know who it is, no matter how slim."

Peter doesn't respond to that statement, so you look over to see what his problem is. He's staring hard at the computer screen (still featuring Spiderman), his firehead damp with sweat, a nervous look on his face.

"Pete? You okay?" At the sound of your voice, Peter suddenly blinks and snaps back into reality.

"Oh, um, yeah. I'm fine. Probably just getting sick or something."

"You're sure? You seem off."

"Yeah, I just..." Peter sighs, leans back against your headboard and folds his arms under his head. "Feeling a bit stressed lately, I suppose. The Stark internship has kept me busy, so I'm just way more tired than usual."

You lie back onto the bed next to him and shift close enough so that you can lay your head on his chest and possibly provide some comfort. "It's okay, I know how stressful those things can be, but I'm always going to be here to do anything I can to make it easier, alright?"

"Thank you, (Nickname), that means more than you think it does." Peter leans down slightly and plants a kiss on top of your head, and almost immediately, you feel blood rushing to your cheeks and you have to bite back a squeal.

The thing is, for as long as you can remember, you've had a crush on Peter Benjamin Parker. Ever since you met when you were three years old, there's always been something about him, something special. You're more than happy to have him as your best friend, no hesitation there, and you would never trade that friendship for anything, but you also wouldn't mind if it transitioned into anything more.

Peter sits up after that, so the two of you just focus your attention back on your laptop, where you put on a Markiplier Let's Play and let the next hour and a half drift by. Unfortunately, it's around 5:00 when Peter says that he should be going, but he stands and makes sure to wrap you in a cozy hug before he goes. It takes everything in you not to bury your face in his shoulder and lose yourself in his scent and the feeling of his (surprisingly muscular) arms wrapped around you. Even though the hug lasts a while, it still ends all too soon and Peter departs with one last, "Thank you, (Y/N)."

You run back to your room after Peter leaves so you can watch him walk down the street until he's out of sight. Maybe it's strange, but even seeing him from so far away brings such a warm feeling to your chest that you can't help it. Sighing happily, you flop onto your bed and let your imagination run wild, losing yourself in both memories and fantasies of one Peter Parker.

Hiya, guys! Welcome back to The Itsy Bitsy Spider! As some of you probably already know, this is a rewrite of my old story. Basically, I liked the story but thought the writing was shitty, so I'm trying my best to make the writing less shitty. Thanks for rereading, and if you're a newcomer, welcome! I hope you enjoy the new and improved story!

Love you guys!

-Astra