xiii || i have a question

Annabella held back laughter as she watched James skid into the Herbology room and rush over to their table, almost tripping a couple times in the process.

"Merlin, what are you in a hurry for?" She questioned amused, at the flustered and panting boy.

"I've had a question to ask you since yesterday but I couldn't find you! At all! Where the bloody hell were you?" James exclaimed.

Annabella's eyebrows went up. James had a question for me? She dared not to let herself hope it was a certain question, because she wouldn't even really admit to herself that she wanted that. She tried not to let her sudden nerves show.

"Where was I? Like last night?" She asked confused.

"Where were you all day besides your classes? I kept trying to find you." James pouted. "And I couldn't. You weren't even at dinner."

"Besides classes, I was just in the common room. I didn't go to dinner cause Via wasn't feeling well. Nat went down to fetch us food, I stayed behind with the sick one." Annabella explained. "How come you didn't just try the Ravenclaw dorms?"

James leaned back almost as if he was in shock, and then his eyes narrowed in on Tommy. "Because your boyfriend told me you weren't there."

Annabella choked. "Sorry, my what? Tommy? Tommy is not my boyfriend."

"Well I'm not so sure he knows that." James replied bitterly.

"What the bloody hell are you talking about?" Annabella exclaimed. "Tommy and I are in no ways involved romantically."

"Tommy stopped me as I was about to knock on the door! Said you had plans with him and that you weren't even in there at the moment." James said.

"Are you sure? I don't even know if I spoke to Tommy at all yesterday." Annabella responded, trying to see if she could recall any possible conversations they could've had yesterday, but she came up with none.

"You're kidding, right?" James asked incredulously.

"Nope. I was just around the common room, checking in on Via every now and then." Annabella said honestly.

"I told you that he fancies you! Why else would he not let me talk to you?"

"But he cant! I'm sure he had a reason for saying that!" She defended.

"Then why wouldn't he let me talk to you? Please, come up with another reason," James fired back.

"I—I don't—I don't know! Why don't you ask him?" She replied exasperated.

"Maybe I will." He decided.

"James Potter, don't you dare—" Annabella scolded, as James cut her off.

"Hey Tommy, mate, can we have a word?" James called across the room. The curly brown haired boy turned around and paled a bit when he saw James's expression, along with Annabella's.

Tommy reluctantly got up as class hadn't started yet, and slowly made his way over to their table. "Uh, what's up guys?"

James opened his mouth to speak and Annabella put her hand on his shoulder. "James, I'm gonna do the talking since you need to calm down quite considerably."

James huffed but said nothing.

"So Tommy, James here says that you told him I couldn't talk last night because you and I had plans? And that I wasn't even in the common room? I was just wondering why you would say that when clearly that wasn't the case, and it appeared James had an important question for me." Annabella questioned the nervous boy.

Tommy cleared his throat. "Oh, really? I don't recall seeing James at all last night."

Annabella raised an eyebrow. "Really Tommy? Are you really going to flat out lie to me like that? I'm not mad but for Merlin's sake, I've known you for years. I know when you're lying!"

Tommy sighed. "Okay! So, I may have said that. But only because I was going to ask you if you wanted to hang out! But the lads got to me first and I got distracted. So I wasn't completely lying."

"What about how you told James that I wasn't there?" She questioned.

"Uh, I'm pretty sure I said that I didn't think you were. That I wasn't sure. That's what I said." Tommy lied again.

"Mate, you didn't." James spoke up.

"No, I really think I must've?" Tommy paused as Professor Longbottom walked in. "Well would you look at that! The professor is here, I'll talk to you two later!" Tommy exclaimed, and fled the table back to his own seat.

James turned and looked at Annabella. "He totally fancies you," he whispered.

Annabella rapidly shook her head. "No!"

James said nothing, and only gave her a look.

Annabella rolled her eyes. "I hate you."

James fake pouted. "Aw, that's a shame. Guess that means you won't want to spend Christmas break with me. I won't even bother asking."

Annabella's heart skipped a beat. "Wait, what!" She exclaimed. Did he just ask what I think he did? She thought to herself. Does he want to spend nearly two whole weeks with me?

"Annabella, James, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Professor Longbottom questioned, but it appeared to Annabella as if he was trying to hide a smile.

Oh Merlin, does he think we're dating because of our banter? I mean, it's not like he would be the first to think so. Even Albus did.

"Yeah, their love for each other," she heard Charlie snicker from somewhere behind them.

"Uh, no sir. Sorry. Carry on," Annabelle responded with an embarrassed smile on her face.

She turned back to James. "Are you inviting me to spend Christmas break with you? Was that your question?" She whispered.

James nodded, now with a flush creeping up his neck. "Only if you wanted to."

"Of course!" She responded quickly, and blushed as she realized how eager her response was. "I mean, uh, anything's better than spending it in this dingy castle."

James smiled at her, and she smiled back, suddenly very eager for Christmas break.

~~~
THANK YOU FOR 3k !! and please remember to vote if you enjoyed the chapter !