The Mirror Of Erised

"Malfoy."
"Weasley."
"Alright, Girls. At the count of three now-One...Two...Three!"

"Rictusempra!" Ginny shouted.
"Protego!" The shielding charm covered Hermione "Expelliarmus!"
Ginny's wand flew into Hermione's, who simply smirked "Not too shabby, Weasley."
"You were lucky today, Malfoy!" The redhead tossed back.
Hermione rolled her eyes "Then I guess I'm lucky every single day, aren't I?"

She tossed her wand back and went over to Pansy, who just won the duel with Dean Thomas.

"The guy's a big pushover." Pansy said, crossing her arms.
"Tell me about it. Didn't even take me a minute to beat the Weaslette." Hermione replied.
Just then, Draco showed up "Stupid Potter...Speaking Parseltoungue....'Oh, look at me, I'm The Boy Who Lived! Please try to kill me, Mr.Snake!'....can't even hold a wand, for goodness' sake!..."

"What?" Hermione asked.
"Oh, nothing, 'mione-Just the simple fact that Potter spoke Parseltoungue and edged the snake I conjured onto Finch-Fletchley."
"Potter did what?!" Pansy whisper-shouted.

"Why did you conjure up a snake in the first place?!" Hermione asked.
"Of all the things you could ask-you ask why I conjured a damn snake? You're unbelievable, 'Mione." Draco shook his head.
"Just answer the question!" Hermione said.
Draco shrugged "Well, You know Severus...never misses a chance to challenge Potter." Draco said.
"I mean, yes, But he has to have his limits! Conjuring a snake, for Godric's sake!" Hermione mumbled.

"I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything Hermione, but this is Hogwarts we're talking about. Just last year some crazy old, stuttering kook who turned out to be hiding You Know Who under a smelly turban, was here. We were also attacked by a troll, Draco saw that big oaf called Hagrid breeding a dragon, and we found some creepy mirror that showed me kissing you!"

Draco smiled "Good times."
Hermione playfully smacked his arm "You're right Pansy. But, still, Severus shouldn't have encouraged Draco to cast a snake."
"Don't think I need much encouragement to unleash a snake on my enemy, now Do I?" Draco pointed out.

"You know what I mean, Malfoy!" Hermione sighed "Anyways, where's Potter right now?"
"Don't know why you care, 'Mione." Pansy said.
"Because he could have gotten hurt, Pansy." Hermione explained.
Draco sighed "Why the Sorting Hat placed you in Slytherin is beyond me!"

Hermione snorted "What did you expect? Gryffindor?!"
"Honestly-yes." Pansy admitted "You've got the bravery, and the nerve, and the courage-Sometimes I wonder how we're even siblings, 'Mione." Draco said.
"Yet-I'm here. In Slytherin. House of Salazar. And I couldn't be happier." Hermione closed the topic.

"Right. Well, We should be going. I still haven't finished the Stupid Essay That McGonagall left us." Draco said.
"But...What if Potter's hurt?" Hermione whined.
"Relax, Hermione. He has Weasel and Weaslette there for him. Not to mention all of his adoring fans!" Pansy imitated a squeal.

Finally, Hermione gave up, and they headed for the Slytherin Common Room.
"'Mione!" Crabbe called out to her as soon as she stepped through the portrait hole.
"Yes, Vincent?" Hermione sighed.
"Why don't our wands work?" Goyle asked.

Hermione shook her head "Boys...you're holding your wands upside down."
"Oh." Was all they said.
Hermione rolled her eyes and plopped down on the green couch
"I swear, if those two were going any slower-They'd be going backwards!" Blaise said to her.

"Now, Blaise, be nice. And stop stealing Draco's catchfrases."
Blaise raised an eyebrow "In case you haven't noticed, Hermione-You're in Slytherin. We aren't exactly well known for our kindness."
"Doesn't mean we can't be." Hermione stood up "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go finish the scarves that I made for the house elves."
"I swear, sometimes I wonder if you're really a Malfoy."

"You better believe it!" Hermione called back, before going upstairs to her dorm.
She sat down on the bed, knitting hat after hat, scarf after scarf, mitten after mitten until she fell asleep.

Hermione, Draco, Pansy and Blaise walked towards the mirror, looking at the golden markings around it's frame.
"Can you read them, 'Mione?" Pansy asked.
Hermione shook her head "I think they're some kind of runes..."

"Hey, look at this!" Blaise said, standing in front of the mirror.
Draco took a step forward "What? I don't see anything."
"Don't you see? It's my mother. And my dad. My real dad, not the cheaters she dates these days."
"But, mate...your dad's...well....not alive anymore." Draco put a hand on Blaise's shoulder.

"Look, stand where I'm standing and you'll see them! I swear!"
Draco did "I don't see them. I only see me, and my parents and Hermione, on a...picnic? And we're laughing and smiling!"
"Let me see!" Pansy gently pushed Draco away and peered into the mirror "All I see is me and Hermione..." She turned bright red, trailing off.

"Yes?" Hermione urged.
"...Kissing." Pansy finished.
"None sense." Hermione muttered.
Pansy shrugged "Come look for yourself."
And Hermione did "No...we're not kissing. We're...We're carrying a baby."
"This mirror must be broken!" Draco exclaimed "Now come one, let's get out of here before Filch catches us."

Hermione woke with a start, rubbing her eyes.
"You alright, mate?" Pansy asked "You wouldn't stop tossing and turning."
Hermione groggily nodded "What time is it?"
"Nearly afternoon." Pansy said, glancing at the clock on the wall.

Hermione got out of bed, trying to smooth out the crinkles in her shirt "Hey, Pansy?"
Pansy hummed in reply.
"Don't you ever wonder what happened to that old mirror that we found last year?" Hermione questioned.
Pansy groaned "'Mione...we've been over this. Just Let it go. It was probably just broken or something."

"I want to know what's the mirror function..." Hermione continued.
"Alright, if you're so anxious to know, let's go with Severus. He'll probably have the answer."
Hermione nodded and they both got out of the common room, knocking on Snape's office door.

"Professor Snape, we were wondering..." Pansy started.
"We found a mirror last year, and it showed Blaise with his dead father and his mother, Draco with his family on a picnic, smiling and laughing, for Pansy it showed, it showed us..." Hermione pointed to both of them "Well, kissing. And for me, it showed us carrying a baby."

Snape smirked "I see you two have found the Mirror Of Erised. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest desire that we possess. Mr.Zabini and Mr.Malfoy both desire a happy, complete family like any other. As for you two..." He trailed off.

Pansy and Hermione blushed at this.
"You two best be going to the Great Hall, dinner will be starting curtly. I will not breathe a word of this to anyone if it's what the pair of you desire."
Hermione nodded "Thank you, Professor."

Silence was eminent between the two as they reached the doors of the Great Hall, where Pansy stopped and turned to Hermione, giving her a small smile and interlacing their fingers together.
Snape meanwhile, was watching from the Teacher's Table, with a small grin on his lips.