Chapter 3: Claire Dearing

Claire's POV
(Elevator)

I am the park operations manager, Claire Dearing. I am riding on an elevator, talking to myself. I'm memorizing the names of people I'm going to be meeting. "Hal Osterly, vice-president... Jim Drucker, bad hair... Erica Brand, deserves better... Hal, Jim, Erica. Hal, Jim, Erica. And I am Claire." I said.

I look at my wristwatch. The elevator dings.

"Three minutes late." I said sighing.

I sigh. When the elevator doors open, I am looking right at the camera.

"Welcome to Jurassic World." I say.

(Hammond Creation Lab)

Scientists are hard at work as visitors watch them through convex windows. I lead a small tour group consisting of three potential investors, Hal Osterly, Jim Drucker and Erica Brand through the laboratory.

"While year-over-year revenue continues to climb, operating costs are higher than ever. Our shareholders have been patient, but let's be honest, no one's impressed by a dinosaur anymore. Twenty years ago, de-extinction was right up there with magic. These days, kids look at a Stegosaurus like an elephant from the city zoo. That doesn't mean asset development has fallen behind. Our DNA excavators discover new species every year." I say.

They enter a part of the lab closed to visitors. DNA double helixes are displayed on computer screens.

"But consumers want them bigger. Louder. More teeth." I start.

The investors listen intently, exchanging looks.

"The good news? Our advances in gene splicing have opened up a whole new frontier. We've learned more from genetics in the past decade than a century of digging up bones." I said.

I lead them over to the computer screens.

"So, when you say you want to sponsor an attraction, what do you have in mind?" I asked.

"We wanna be thrilled." Osterly said.

"Don't we all?" I asked.

I slide my finger across the screen and a DNA double helix reacts. I step forward proudly.

"The Indominus Rex. Our first genetically modified hybrid." I said.

Drucker looks dubious. "How did you get two different kinds of dinosaurs to... (He struggles with how to put it, and makes awkward "doing it" motions with his hands.) Y'know..."

He trails off uncertainly. Dr. Henry Wu walks over to the group, smiling.
"Oh, Indominus wasn't bred. She was Designed. She will be fifty feet long when fully grown. Bigger than the T. rex." Henry said.

"Every time we've unveiled a new asset, attendance has spiked. Global news coverage. Celebrity visitors. Eyes of the world." I said to the investors.

Osterly is convinced. "When will she be ready?"

Wu was beaming with pride." She already is."

(Main Street)

Gray's POV

Crowds of people fill the street leading towards the Innovation Center. I am running enthusiastically up the steps of the building with his brother and Zara trailing behind.

"Come on!" I say impatiently. Shane, Bach's friend was smiling at me.

"Relax." Zach said.

"Come on!" I said.

"Dude, chill." Zach says.

Ridley's POV

Lydia's Walkie Talky was on and making that static noise.