Chapter 3: A Course of Action

It had been a week since she was hired. Audrey followed The Beatles around everywhere: studio session, radio talk shows, small gigs. And she was doing all sorts of things that they didn't want done for them. If a part of one of their shirts was untucked, she would tuck it into their slacks without permission or some sort of warning, if it had been an hour since they had eaten anything, she would bring then food, if a strand of hair was out of place she would lick her hand and put it into place. Audrey embarrassed the hell out of those poor boys. And by the end of the week, all of their skin was itching with irritation. They had just finished a gig at a small theater in Liverpool, and they decided to have a smoke and relax a bit, leaning along John's new white, shiny Cadillac in the theater parking lot. Luckily it was completely empty, or they would've been attacked by crazy teenage girls. They watched Audrey as she helped Brian carry an amp into the backseat of his car.

"She's driving me mad and she hasn't even been here more than a week." John grumbled. Ringo let out an agitated sigh, that made it obvious he agreed with John; exhaling the toxic smoke from his lips. George shrugged, "She's just trying to help. Isn't that why she was hired?"

"Yes," Paul agreed with a doubt in his voice, "But she was hired to help us out, not baby sit us and treat us like children. She's making me go insane."

"She isn't driving me insane," George mumbled, though no one heard him; and if anyone had, they didn't respond.

John sucked up the nicotine from the cigarette and let the smoke drag out slowly from his lips, debating on what he could do to get Audrey to stop treating them like children. They had told her plenty of times that they were capable of all the things she forced herself to do and, still, she insisted on doing them; embarrassing them in front of friends.

"The only good thing about her is that she brings us muffins in the morning," Ringo said blatantly, "Those muffins are good but it's not enough to let her keep treating us like toys. It's too bad we can't fire her." Suddenly John got a twinkle in his eyes at the creation he took from those words. "What?" Paul asked curiously with a smile to John, noticing that an idea had sparked in his mind. "We can't fire her," John began with a smile, "But we can make her quit."

Ringo's eyebrows furrowed, "And how do we do that?" John looked over at Ringo with a devious expression and then simply answered, "Give her what she's giving us." 

"Muffins?" Ringo inquired. John slapped him in the back of the head. "No!" he spat, "We drive her mad. Do little things that will completely overwhelm her, and then she'll have to quit."

"How are you so sure that'll work?" Paul asked, "She looks quite tough to crack." John barked a laugh as if Paul was joking. "Oh it'll work," John said confidently, "There's four of us and one of her. What do you say, lads? Shall we try it on?" Ringo and Paul nodded in agreement, but George didn't say a word. He just looked back out to the beautiful twenty year old as she laughed at something Brian had said. He felt bad. She was only trying to do her job, and now John, Paul, and Ringo were going to give her a tough time. He couldn't help but sympathize.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Audrey looked around at all of the small buttons that made the perfection of a singers voice as George Martin explained what each of the million buttons do. Audrey had worked for millions of people and yet she had never gotten the chance to venture for herself, always being too busy with someone else's problems. But since she had shown up at the studio before any of The Beatles, she thought she'd take the chance to heighten her knowledge of the music world.

"That's for recording," George Martin explained as he pointed out a small green button, "When its blinking, that means its recording. See?" He pressed it and it began to blink, but soon shut it off not wanting to waste any tape. "Oh," Audrey beamed. George continued, "This red button here is used when doing another take. I'll show you when the band gets here. Brian usually has them redo a song about six times before he-" Just then the group of young men entered with loud laughter as John led them inside, cutting off George Martin's sentence.