Chapter 6: Suddenly Friendly

"Wake up! Come on, get up!"

Audrey quickly opened her eyes, awakening from her slumber at the loud voice that echoed in her room. She sat up to face a frustrated Brian Epstein. By the mean glare in his eyes, she could tell her was more than unhappy. "What time is it?" Audrey quickly asked as she crawled out of bed. "It's ten am," Brian answered, "And if you had been awake earlier, you would know that I called to tell you that the boys would like you to go see the city again. I told them to wait for you. Unfortunately for you, they've left and I don't know where they've gone." Audrey felt guilt and fear rise in the pit of her stomach. "Oh, Mr. Epstein, I am so sorry. I never sleep in like this." Audrey tried to explain. This was the first time she had ever been at fault during her job. She was always so professional and on point. "I don't have time for an explanation," Brian huffed, "Look, the lads have a press conference at three. Find them and bring them back to the hotel before then and we won't have much of a problem, understood?" Audrey nodded with a look of shame and embarrassment. "Good." Brian shot. But as he turned to leave, he stopped, turning back around to her again. "And Audrey," he said, "...Don't disappoint me." Audrey nodded, looking down at her feet, and Brian left with that being said.

How could she be so stupid, she thought. She had never slept in past six am and to have slept until ten was surprising to her; then again, she had never been so tired. Even working for fifteen people at a time, she had never felt so out of energy. These four boys really did have their work for her.

Audrey didn't have time to take a show and instead, rushed out in the same clothing as yesterday from her hotel room and jumped on the first elevator that would open. She kept mumbling to herself where the Beatles could have disappeared to. But to her surprise, the minute she had stepped off of the elevator and into the lobby, Paul was walking back into the hotel with a camera in his hand. Out of all the Beatles to find, I find him, she cursed in thought. "There you are," she breathed with agitation as they met, "Brian's been looking all over for you." Paul shrugged, faltering his steps with hers as they approached each other. "We were out for a walk," he simply said, "I didn't know it would be trouble and we didn't want to wake you." Audrey rolled her eyes in sarcastic amusement. To think, the Beatles - the boys who had been messing with her none stop - actually cared about her sleep. "Where are the others?" she digressed. Paul gestured a nod over to the hotel entrance. "They should be right around the corner." Audrey nodded and began to walk away; readying herself to scold the others like she had done with Paul. However, to her surprise, Paul grabbed her by the arm; gently stopping her. Audrey looked back at Paul in confusion. "I've been thinking." he mumbled. Paul looked like he had become somewhat nervous and guilty as he spoke. "I'm sorry about kissing you on the train," he apologized, "I didn't mean to embarrass you. I really don't know what had come over me. But I've been feeling terrible about it ever since." Audrey didn't say anything. How could she? She wasn't sure if the apology was sincere and if it had been, then she was more than taken back by it. "Look," Paul continued, "I get it if you don't forgive me. It was a rotten thing to do." Audrey shook her head, thinking of the words to say. She wasn't sure if she should hit him again or take this into consideration. Instead of thinking too long, she felt that it was best to let bigons be bigons. Audrey figured that if she forgave him than maybe he wouldn't be so mean, or maybe he could talk to John about being so heartless. "Yes," Audrey said lightly, "I forgive you." A small grin grew on Paul's lips and he nodded, feeling joyous. "Good." he beamed. Audrey turned to walk away, but not before being called by Paul one last time.

"Oh, and Audrey," Paul called; causing Audrey to turn around, "You aren't too bad. At kissing, I mean. Maybe we could do it again... but properly. Maybe over dinner?" A blush fluttered onto Audrey's small cheeks. Paul had noticed the look of shyness on her face and smirked. "I'll take that as a yes." he said. And without another word he left her in the middle of the lobby and had gotten into the elevator. Audrey couldn't believe what she was hearing. One minute Paul was making her scrape gum off of his shoe and the next he was asking her out on a date? As flattered as Audrey wanted to be, something felt a bit off about the whole thing. Just then, John and Ringo walked into the lobby and Audrey approached them, stopping them from walking any further. "Brian's been looking for you." she informed them. John shrugged with a sleazy grin on his face. "Are we playing hide and seek now?" John mocked. "Not right now, John, please," Audrey huffed, "I am not in the mood for your smart remarks. And where's George?" Ringo shoved his hands in his pant pockets. "George didn't want to come," he answered, "He's been in his room since we've gotten here. He doesn't even come out to eat. He just stays in his room all day and night." Audrey furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Are we free to go now, your majesty?" John spat. Audrey nodded, but didn't say anything else as John and Ringo walked passed her.

Audrey found it odd that George wasn't as excited as the others to be in a new city. It was in her best interest to check on him considering whatever happened to him was her responsibility. Besides, how could she have forgotten about George in the first place? It was so unprofessional.

Audrey had followed John and Ringo up to their room, but when they had gotten there, John slammed the door right in her face. After a moments laughter, he opened it and officially let her in. "Where's George's room?" she asked. Paul, sitting on the sofa flickering through TV channels, didn't take his eyes off the television as he answered in monotone, "Last door to the left." Audrey stepped down the small corridor and stopped at George's door. She tapped her knuckle on the door gently. "George?" she called through the crack, "It's me; Audrey." But there wasn't an answer. Again, she knocked. "George?" Still, nothing. Audrey grabbed the door knob carefully and opened the door slowly. She was revealed to an empty room that was nice and neat as if it hadn't been touched in ages. Even George's luggage was still packed and neatly set on his bed. Audrey stepped inside the room and examined it closely. Suddenly, she noticed that the window was wide open and she could see smoke passing by it. Curiously, she walked over to the window and slightly stuck her head out of it.

There George sat on the wide hotel ledge; his feet to his chest and a cigarette in between his fingers. Audrey leaned against the casing of the window. She crossed her arms over her chest and smiled with relief that she had found him. "Hi." she greeted. But George looked like he was upset. He looked tired. "Hi." he barely answered. "Why haven't you gone with the others to see the city?" she asked with concern. George shrugged and took a smoke of his cigarette. "Dunno." he answered. Audrey's smile faded as it became more and more obvious that George was very unhappy. "What's wrong, George?" George let the smoke run from his nose and he set his head back against the hotel. "It's stupid." he mumbled, almost bitterly. Audrey gave him a warm smile. "Nothing's ever really stupid, is it?" she asked rhetorically, "You can tell me." George shook his head. "No," he said, "It isn't worth talking about... Besides, I'd only look foolish in the end."

"I suppose that's fair," she said, "But you can't stay cooped up in here all day, now can you? How about we do something? Let's go see the city." George shook his head. "I can see the city from right here."

"Oh, come on George," Audrey pleaded, "It isn't good to sulk."

"I'm not sulking." he argued.

"Then let's go out and have some fun," she told him, "Just you and me. It'll be nice, huh?" George looked at Audrey and a slight beam came through his eyes. "You and me?" he repeated. Audrey nodded. "Yeah." George fell into deep thought, looking away from her. "Sounds nice," he admitted, "But how would we get out? There's fans all over the place? And if they see me with a girl they'll start rumours, you know?"

"There didn't seem to be too much trouble with the others when I went out with them. Then again, I could hardly see over my nose carrying all of those bags." Audrey thought for a moment before a lightbulb popped over her head. Or it would have if she were in a movie. "I have an idea," she said excitedly, "We'll dress in a disguise! It'll keep the fans away from you and - well, I don't have to dress up, but I'll do it anyway." A small grin peaked on George's lips and he finally gave in to the beautiful Audrey Hepburn. George crawled back inside and Audrey helped him organize a good disguise. This was going to be fun.

And while they were in the room, John was watching George's door as giggling came from behind it. "What do you think they're doin' in there?" John seethed. Paul shrugged, still captivated by the television. "Who knows?" Paul replied carelessly, "At least we know George is alive." John smirked and turned to Paul. "Are you sure you want your girlfriend shaking up with your best mate?" Paul rolled his eyes and shook his head. "She isn't my girlfriend, John." John walked over to Paul and sat on the arm of the couch; only a seat away from Paul. "Not yet." John mocked, "I'm sure after you take her to dinner she'll be putty in your hands. Then maybe we can get rid of her." Paul was hesitant to reply. He didn't feel guilty about the plan he had made with John and Ringo, but he knew the difference between pranking someone and being down right mean. And what they had planned to do was pure evil.

George and Audrey barged out of George's room wearing trench coats and black ray-ban sunglasses. It wasn't much of a disguise but it was all they had. "We'll be back boys," Audrey called as they began to walk out, "Stay here!" Once they were gone, John looked at Paul and smiled. Paul didn't look at John but through peripheral vision he knew what John was doing. "Why are you looking at me like that?" Paul sighed, annoyed. "You know why," John smirked, "We're alone now. We can go over the plan one last time to refresh our memories, shall we? I'll get Ringo and the journal."