Part 2

Across town, Bill sat in his idling Buick. His arm rested along the open window, his hand rapping a beat on the side of the door. Soon he would be out of a job. But he wasn't worried. He had an 'in' at Page Break, thanks to the sweet, little blonde owner. Her big chain bookstore on the main drag was hiring, and he planned to walk right into a manager spot.

    He picked his teeth in the rear-view mirror and smoothed his tongue along them. At that moment his co-worker, Georgia, stepped out of her house and locked the door. She bounded down the walkway and dropped into the waiting car.

    "Jesus, Georgie, took you long enough," Bill said, smacking his lips. Georgia made a face and buckled up.

    "Forgot to feed the cat. Let's get goin'. We're already late."

    "We're gonna be even later. Gotta make a quick stop first to pick up some cleaning supplies."

    "Whatever you say. Anyway, here ya go," Georgia dropped a plastic bag onto Bill's lap, the contents squeaking.

    "What's this?" He fished out a black rubber rodent with beady red eyes.

    "Misty's squeak-toy. She doesn't like it much, so I thought we could play a little joke on Rat-boy."

    Bill grinned, his teeth gleaming.

    "Y'know, I'm really gonna miss workin' with ya, Georgie." He scooped her closer with his arm and planted a brotherly kiss on her forehead. Georgia slapped him away.

    "All right, shut up and drive."

    The Buick sputtered to life and swerved away from the curb, disappearing around the corner.