“I won’t lie, that is a possibility, but I’m working on a brilliant plan that will take measures in preventing him from doing just that,” he admitted.

I chewed on my bottom lip nervously. “What kind of plan?”

“Trust me, love,” he said running his fingers through his messed dark hair. His eyes were alight with excitement. “It’s a good plan.”

“Well, I’d like to hear it.” It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Larson, as he hadn’t yet given me a reason not to, but it was hard to trust blindly when the stakes were so high. If his plan failed, it would mean someone’s life, I was sure of it.

“And I will happily share it with you, but only once it’s concrete. I’m still fine-tuning the details.”

“Fine,” I accepted, “but until it’s all worked out, we don’t make a move.”

He flashed me a smile. “Fair enough. In the meantime,” Larson continued with a mischievous gleam in his eyes. “I think we should celebrate your first successful attempt at kicking my ass.”

“Ha, no need. Knocking you to the ground was celebration enough for me.”

“Tsk, tsk,” he said, wagging his finger. “That won’t do. How about I sneak you out of Nathan’s posh penitentiary? I’m sure you’re dying to do something other than train, eat, train, and sleep.”

This was a good point. I’d spent the last eight weeks running laps and lifting weights, and having Larson dish out beat down after beat down. Going out and actually having fun sounded like the best idea ever. “What did you have in mind?”

Larson’s angelic grin would have fooled just about anyone. Anyone who didn’t know him, that is. Instinctively I knew he was up to no good, and I had a feeling it was the kind of wayward behavior I longed for.

“Are you by chance twenty-one?”

            I answered him with a playful smirk, “Eighteen, as a matter of fact, but I have an I.D. that says otherwise.”

            “How fateful.” With that, Larson stuck out his arm gesturing for me to link mine with his. “Shall we?”

“This isn’t some excuse to go demon hunting is it, Larson?” I asked, as we ascended the basement stairs.

He chuckled, “No love, not unless you’ve changed your mind about waiting.”

“No, definitely not. I was just making sure.”

He patted my arm, the one that was still looped in his, before letting me go. “Well then, rest assured that tonight will just be a chance to have fun and relax.”

Finally. I could really use a night off.

When we were right outside the door that would lead us to Nathan’s living room, Larson paused. Before opening the door, he turned to me, “Let me do the talking, okay?”

I shrugged, “Sure.” With that, we started through the door.

We split up so that I could get ready for a carefree night out on the town, while Larson went off in search of Nathan. I hoped he wouldn’t make too big a deal out of letting me go. Even if he did, it wasn’t like he was my keeper. I was going whether he liked it or not, I just really wanted to avoid any drama.

In nearly record time, I took a quick shower to rinse away my less than fresh scent from my time wrestling with Larson. When I was clean enough to squeak, I hopped out and dried off.

All my make-up and toiletries were here so I was able to get mostly ready, but in my rush to freshen up, I hadn’t taken the time to bring an outfit with me. I wrapped the towel securely around my body, and began primping.