When You Smile Like A Tease Baby, You Don't Even Know

I wake up to the sound of Josh singing to me.

        "You are perfect porcelain."

        I grab my phone and turn my alarm off. 6 am. I went to bed around 1 am, so that's only five hours of sleep. Not enough. I have a photo shoot in an hour but I have to meet with my stylist in a half. I don't bother putting any makeup on because I'm just going to get it done when I get to the set. 

        I put some sweats on and a Marianas Trench t-shirt. Aside from being best friends with the band, I am a huge fan. I throw my hair up in a messy bun, walk downstairs, and start to make myself a cup of hot chocolate.

        I look at my phone and see nothing new. Josh is supposed to get a hold of me soon so we can keep working on the song. And I just really want to see him again. I'm so dumb. Why of all people, do I have a crush on Josh Ramsay? Okay, it's more than a crush. I am completely infatuated with him. And I have been since I met him. But we've always been best friends and I don't think he'd want me to be any more. I sigh.

        I hear my microwave timer go off and I get my hot water out and mix my hot chocolate in my mug. I grab my purse and mug and head out the door. I get to my driveway and my phone buzzes.

        A text from Josh.

        "Still not telling me your wish?"

        I laugh. We tell each other everything (aside from me liking him) so I can tell this is really bothering him. I decide not to reply just to make him miserable.

        I go to my photo shoot and I have a great time. Everything goes well and by late afternoon, I'm ready to be out of that place. I put my lazy clothes back on and drive home.

        I get home and go inside. I set my things on the counter and my phone buzzes again.

        "C, come quick! This is an emergency!!! - J"

        Oh my gosh, what happened to Josh? I quickly grab my things again and run to my car. I get in and speed to Josh's house. On the way over, every horrible scenario runs through my mind. Is Josh okay? Is he hurt?

        In five minutes, I pull into his driveway. I run to his front door and grab his spare house key that's in the plant on his doorstep. I run inside and yell for Josh.

        "Josh, where are you? Are you okay?" I run into his room and he's not there. I go into his studio and he's sitting in front of his computer. "Josh."

        "Hey." He says. He turns and looks at me. "Nice shirt."

        "What's the emergency? Are you okay?"

        "I'm fine," He says. "But I've been staring at this screen for hours and I cannot finish these lyrics. I was wondering if you could help me."

        I take a deep breath and sit down next to him and hug him.

        "Josh, you could've just asked. I thought something happened to you."

        "Were you worried?" He asks with a laugh.

        "Yes!"

        "How adorable." I hide a blush and punch his arm.

        "You're an idiot." I tell him.

        He shows me the lyrics he has so far and I give him some input. I can tell they're about someone he has feelings for. Lucky girl. 

        I think back to all those late nights writing Call Me Maybe. Josh doesn't even know every word was about him, and he was helping write them. And all my songs before that. All about him. Tug Of War, Tell Me, Just A Step Away, Curiosity. How could he be so clueless? His smile is a tease and he doesn't even know. It kills me inside, but I do not want to ruin this friendship.

        "Carly." Josh says, taking me out of my thoughts.

        "Yeah?" I ask.

        "You are seriously the best friend ever."

        "I know." I say. Again with being his best friend. But that's okay.

        "Like seriously, who else would come over and help me with this after she has already had a long day?"

        "No one." I say shoving his shoulder.

        "I think we deserve a break." He says. I agree.

        We go into the kitchen and he grabs a Coke Zero, but I take it from him.

        "Hey!" He says,

        "Josh, you are addicted to these." I say.

        "No I am not." He says, trying to get it back.

        "How many have you had today?" I ask.

        "Fine. I'm addicted. Give it back!" Since he's taller than me, holding it above my head isn't very affective. He grabs it and laughs at me.

        "Fine," I say, sitting down on the couch. "But once you run out, don't call me."

        "Maybe." He says and laughs at his awful joke. "Oh, Carly?"

        "Yeah?"

        "Are you ever going to tell me what your wish was?"

       "Nope." I say. I settle down into his couch and pull out my phone and open my notes. I keep rough drafts of my songs on there and I open one. I write four words.

        My wish was you.

        "What's that?" Josh asks, looking over my shoulder.

        "Nothing!" I yell, trying to hide my phone, but he grabs it from me. "Hey!" I yell. "Give that back." I jump up and try to reach for my phone. I am small and short and can't get it back. "Josh, don't!"

        "My wish was you," He reads. "Carly."

        He looks into my tear filled eyes and I look away.

        "Why?" I ask quietly.

        "Carly." He says again.

        I push past him and run out through his front door. I left everything inside, so I can't drive away. But I can't let him see me like this.

        "Carly!" I hear him slam the door. I start walking faster.

        Now he knows. He won't ever look at me the same way. I hear him running behind me.

        "Carly, please wait." I ignore him.

        He catches up to me and grabs my shoulder. I pull away.

        "Carly, please look at me."

        "No." I say.

        "Carly, I'm sorry. I am so sorry for looking at your phone. I messed up, okay? It was wrong and I'm sorry."

        "No, I'm sorry," I say. "I'm sorry that I ruined our friendship. I'm sorry you only think of me as a friend. I feel like an idiot."

        I feel so stupid and I can't even look him in the eyes.

        "Please look at me, Carly."

        "Why?"

        "So I can do this."

        Josh tips my chin up and looks me in the eyes. The next thing I know, he kisses me. We break apart and I am blushing.

        "Josh."

        "It's weird," He says, looking away. "We had the same wish."