14

___

Ava's POV

We were in the car headed back home. With Carter's mom. I can't believe we actually did it. We found her. I was extremely happy for him and for the rest of his family. They got her back.

I sat in the backseat while Carter drove and his mom was in the passenger seat. They were outside for a while so, I'm guessing that it had to take a while to convince her to come back because Carter told me how in the letter she said she wasn't coming back.

Carter looks at me through the rearview mirror, giving me a small smile. I give him one back.

The four hour drive back was filled with anticipation and anxious feelings. I could tell from Carter that he was feeling anxious about his family's reaction to her being back. Because Carter did lie to his dad about where he's gonna be.

And if Carter was feeling anxious, I couldn't even imagine what his mom was feeling. She's been gone for three years and she's about to show up with no warning to her husband or her daughter.

Carter pulled into the driveway of my house and I look at it, thinking about what I have to tell my parents about where I've actually been.

Once Carter puts the car in park, he looks at his mom. "I'll be right back."

My eyebrows scrunch once he says that to her. Was he getting out with me? She nods and he gets out of the car, opening my door for me. I thank him, stepping out of the car and grabbing my bag. He shuts the door and he silently reaches his hand out, telling me to give him my bag. I hand it to him and we silently walk up to my door.

Once we reach my door, we face each other. I fiddle with my fingers and look into his green eyes. "Thank you."

His face contorts in confusion. "Why are you thanking me?"

I shrug. "I don't know. For letting me help you and for walking me to my door." Oh gosh, I sounded way too nervous.

He chuckles. "I should be thanking you. We found my mom because of you." He pauses, looking down and then back at me with guilt written on his face. "I'm sorry for what I said earlier about it being your fault. I really didn't mean that. At all. You've been nothing but helpful to me."

My stomach explodes with butterflies and my heart starts to feel heavy in my chest. A soft smile takes over my face. "Yeah, it's no problem and I'm really happy for you."

He puts my bag down and then steps closer to me, catching me off guard. His arms open and then wrap around me in a hug. I don't hesitate to hug him back, loving the feeling of his arms around me. I lay my head against his chest, feeling completely at peace. I like him too much.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" he mumbles with his arms still around me.

I nod against his chest. "Yeah, okay."

He pulls away, bending down to hand me my bag. I smile gratefully at him and he smiles back and then walks back to his car. I watch him drive off and then I walk inside of my house.

I guess now it was time to go back to regular life.

A/N:

One more chapter left!