Part 3

Elijah:
She's looking at me in confusion, and I'm trying to come up with some comforting words and explanations, but suddenly, my tongue is stiff and I'm just staring back at her, paralysed by the look at this magical creature for whom I had to wait for a couple of decades. Compared to my thousand-years-long life, it was just a moment, but in reality, it felt like an eternity.
'Elijah, where is everyone?' asks Elena. 'Caroline, Damon, Jeremy,... Bonnie?'
'Elena, what's the last thing you remember?' I ask her carefully.
'We were at Rick and Jo's wedding... Where are Rick and Jo? What happened? Did I faint? And who put me in the coffin?'
'Elena,' I sigh. 'This will be a shock, but Jo... is dead. And actually... more than sixty years have passed since that time.'
Elena jumps up. 'What? I don't understand! What are you talking about?'
'Calm down, Elena,' I comfort her, and I grab her hand. I immediately let it go when I notice her frightened expression.
'What happened? What sixty years?'
'Do you remember Kai?'
'Well... sure.'
'He cast a curse on you... He linked your life to Bonnie's, and he put you to sleep until she...' I break off.
Elena figures it out, and she looks away. 'Dies,' she whispers.
'Yes,' I confirm that with a small nod, and I put on a sympathetic face.
'Bonnie's dead,' she mumbles, and her eyes suddenly start filling up with tears. 'And so is Jo. And what about Alaric? And everyone else? Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god,' she keeps repeating over and over again in desperation.
I walk up to her and give her a hug. She's so upset that she lets me do it. 'Don't be afraid, Elena. It will be OK,' I promise to her, although I know that it won't be easy for her to get over this.