"Because," he sighed, gazing up at the ceiling for a moment. "If I knew where she was then I would go and get her. And she needs some time. My sister has struggled with feeling unloved and abandoned for most of her life. But she knows that I'm here and we'll have her back as soon as she wants."

We stopped beside the guest room, which we'd been planning to renovate since Tammy died. It just felt tainted now. The walls were still pristine. The sunflowers in the vase beside the drawers were bright, beautiful. And the yellow rug on the floor brought the room alive with vibrance. But it was almost impossible not to picture what had happened. We both decided that it needed a new beginning.

"Perhaps I shouldn't have done it," I squeezed Aiden's hand and glanced up at him with concern. "I took him from her. I shouldn't ha—"

He shook his head. "He took them from you," his white t shirt sleeves pulled tight around his biceps as he drew me into his embrace once more. "He wouldn't have changed his mind regardless of what you said. He knew that this was what he needed to do. You gave him the push that he needed. Without pushing him. If that makes sense?"

"Yeah, it does," I nodded with agreement. It didn't make it easier though. I still felt terrible for ripping that couple apart.

"At least she gets him back, right?" He said, his thumb tugging the lip that I was biting so that it slid out from between my teeth. "Even if it's a long time, she gets him back."

"Yeah," I nodded.

Evin began barking from the living room and a moment later, the elevator door chimed. Aiden tensed for a moment but his Mother's voice sung out and Evin's  barking ceased. She was becoming a good little guard dog. She could sense when there was a visitor arriving before the doors opened. We wandered out into the living room where Imani was scratching Evin under the chin.

"Hey Mom," Aiden pulled her in for a hug and kissed her cheek. She seemed tense as she often did when she was approached with an embrace but she smiled and gave him a pat on the cheek. Aiden said that she was getting better with affection since the shooting. "How are you Arian?"

"Good thank you," I smiled. I knew better than to attempt a hug. She wouldn't have been rude if I tried. But I knew that it made her uncomfortable. "How are you?"

"Oh fine fine," she smiled and let Aiden take her thin coat. It was colder outside. It wasn't cold but it was colder. "Is Zoerina back. Have you heard from her?"

Aiden shook his head with an apologetic look on his face when he wandered back over after hanging her coat up on the rack. The three of us moved into the kitchen and I put the kettle on while Aiden and Imani took a seat at the dining table. It was just after lunch. We'd had leftover pumpkin soup that I'd cooked for thanksgiving. There was so much of it that we'd been getting through it for the last couple of days. We had all been hoping that Zoerina would appear and surprise us with her return. We'd decorated with elegant candles, intricate center pieces made of white flowers and little orange pumpkins. Maddie and Cameron had come along as well. Maddie helped in the kitchen. She claimed that I'd taught her a few things too. We'd invited Lana but she had plans with her son and his wife. She promised that she would come and visit as soon as possible.

"No," Aiden answered with his forearms rested on the table. I spread three mugs on the countertop and began making coffee. "I haven't heard from her and she's not back. But I do know that she's safe."

"How do you know?" Imani leaned forward with an eager expression. It was clear that she was full of concern. Her long dreaded locks fell over her shoulder and her leg bounced up and down. Since I had met her, she was so indifferent and unconcerned. It was hard to see her under so much stress.