Chapter Thirty-One-Mnemosyne

Start from the beginning

Percy contemplatively looked forward and backward along the tunnel. "So...do we follow the giant ants or not?"

"I think..." I remembered thinking that Mnemosyne was an ally. Maybe she was trying to help, in her way, while still pretending to be loyal to Menoetius. "I think we should follow them, but I don't know why."

Percy nodded, and I was surprised how much he trusted my judgement. He was the seasoned camper here. But I guess in a situation like this, we were both equally inexperienced.

We continued down the tunnel, and it got harder and harder to think. My brain felt like marshmallows and all I could think about was how tired I was. Percy's hand holding the sword started to droop.

I paused. Up ahead there was a bright light. 

"Percy, put away your sword."

"Huh?"

"Your sword!"

He clumsily did as I asked and the light became even more pronounced. It glowed the same bronze as Percy's sword. 

"What do you think is up there?" Percy asked nervously.

"Wherever it is we're going." Together, we crept up down the tunnel, ignoring the ants. The light was coming from another large cavern. Percy and I each took up a post on either side of the end of the tunnel, looking cautiously into the room beyond.

And what a sight it was.

Piles upon piles of treasure lined the walls. It reminded me of the Cave of Wonders. Gems and jewels, gold, silver, bronze, trinkets, jewelry, even the odd computer or TV. Millions and millions of dollars worth of riches. And standing on the tallest mountain of gold was a red-skinned giant. Or rather a Titan. He watched the army of mermekes march by with a scowl. Menoetius, I assumed. I shivered with fear.

A group of ants had gathered at the foot of Menoetius's mound of money. A shadowy figure hovered shyly before them. Was that Mnemosyne?

"What are they doing?" Percy asked quietly.

I looked again at the ants. They were circled around something lying on the floor.

"I assume his friends aren't far behind?" boomed Menoetius.

"No, My Lord," came a soft, lulling voice from beneath Mnemosyne's hood. "They are here. 

The ants before her shifted and moved back into line, revealing the figure on the floor.

Percy sucked in a breath.

It was Grover.

Percy made to charge forward, but I caught at his arm and pulled him toward me. "No!" I hissed, "Not yet! We need a plan."

"I have one," Percy said, gritting his teeth, "I'll go in there and distract them, and then you come in and get Grover out."

I stared at him. "You're not serious. That's your plan?"

"Annabeth!" he growled, getting frustrated. "They're going to eat him or something!"

"Didn't you hear him?" I was struggling to keep my voice down. "Grover is the bait!"

Percy crossed his arms. "What do you suggest?"

"We use the ants as a distraction."

"How?"

I smiled and told him the plan.

***

"I'm not sure how I feel about this," Percy said, studying the approaching mermeke. 

"You said you wanted to be the distraction. Now's your chance."

"This wasn't exactly what I had in mind," he complained, but obediently stepped forward.

An image came to my mind. Another dark earthy chamber, full of boiling lava and strange seal-like creatures shuffling around, and Percy next to me. I didn't know where the scene had come from, but it made my plan feel ominous. 

"Wait," I said.

Percy turned back. I kissed him on the cheek. "Good luck."

He blinked, stunned.

"Go on!" I shoved him.

He still looked dazed, but tucked and rolled underneath the mermeke I had chosen. 

As the ant passed me, I only noticed Percy's hands clutching the beast because I knew what to look for. With any luck, the Titans wouldn't see him until it was too late. 

I rolled my eyes and took my place by the entrance to the chamber. Percy's mermeke passed through and into the cavern. I crossed my fingers, heart thumping loud enough that I worried Menoetius would hear. 

Keeping track of Percy was impossible. It seemed like forever, but I barely waited three minutes before there was a loud squeal from about halfway through the chamber. A mermeke was bucking like a rodeo horse. Percy dropped from beneath it, sword in his hand. The other ants turned toward the noise. Then in a cohesive movement, they began charging Percy. 

He stabbed another one, parried a pincer attack, and then jumped back to gain more space. He wouldn't be able to keep them occupied for long. 

I crept around the corner as Menoetius laughed, "Welcome, Percy Jackson! The mermekes will not stampede like you want them too. Sorry to disappoint! They obey me now, and they will kill you or spare you on my command."

Oops. Sorry Percy, I thought. The Titan didn't notice me yet, so I continued, praying to whatever gods were listening that Percy was good at improvising. It looked like we were going with his plan after all.