SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN
❝ EVERYONE WEARS A MASK ❞

"DO YOU NEED a table?"

Caroline Forbes flinched when Matt Donovan's voice flittered into her ears. She quickly realized that she had been standing in the entrance of the Mystic Grill staring at Matt for too long. She would never admit it, but she'd been sort of following Matt lately just to make sure he was okay.

Caroline shook her head. "No, I'm not staying. I just needed to use the little girl's room."

With a doubtful expression on his face, Matt nodded. Caroline finally forced herself to move from her spot and kept up with the act that she needed to use the restroom. Walking into the restroom, she went straight to the mirror, looked at herself and shook her head.

She couldn't believe that she just made such a big idiot of herself.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a figured enter the restroom and stand behind her. She looked back into the mirror and saw a teenage girl with brown eyes, tan skin, and curly long hair that fell just below her breasts.

"Elena," Caroline said, still staring at her through the mirror.

"Hey, I saw you with Matt." Elena stated with concern clearly in her voice. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's whatever." Caroline brushed off with a shrug of her shoulders.

In a blink of an eye, Caroline tried to use her enhanced speed to rush out of the bathroom, but Elena stepped in her way with a smirk playing at her pink lips.

"You're good," Katherine purred. "What gave me away? Was it my hair? Or was it my clothes?"

Katherine took slow steps forward, backing Caroline into a corner.

"I know Elena—" Caroline hit the wall "I know Elena's at home."

"I need you to deliver a message for me." Katherine said to a visibly trembling Caroline. "Tell Damon and Stefan that I want the moonstone and they will give it to me or I will rip this town apart until it rains blood."

Caroline gulped, watching at Katherine twirled around on her toes. Her hair spun around behind her.

"Tonight. At the masquerade ball."       

✥ ✥ ✥

Matt Donovan had an arm delicately wrapped around Aunt Jenna's waist as they all guided her through the open front door. Elektra could hear Alaric fiddling around in the kitchen; pulling out plates for the takeout they had ordered from the Mystic Grill.

Jenna groaned under her breath as they stepped over the threshold.

"Easy," Matt cautioned Jenna. "Jer, grab the door."

"Hey, stop fussing. I'm fine." Jenna insisted with a forced smile. Elektra rolled her eyes playful.

She never did like receiving help, she thought. "No, you're not, Aunt Jenna."

    "The doctor said that you have to take it easy," Elena reminded them as they began to walk her over to the couch as Jeremy shut the front door.