Seventeen

17

The semifinals had everyone holding on to their seats. News of Jayson’s broken hand emerged, and the Greyhounds did not expect the Red Dragon’s Ace to play. They got cocky, thinking they could crush the Dragons without the ace. To keep up appearances, Rhap had Jayson and Myk benched for the first two quarters. The Greyhounds  probably had the chance with the score on 67-71 against the Dragons. But when the substitution came on the second half, they were mercilessly crushed with 102-79. 

The Greyhounds’ captain glared at Jayson’s taped hand as they were packing up, leaving room for the semi-finals game between the Blue Tigers and the Black Eagles.The Red Dragons were moving up to the finals. One more game and it will all be over. 

Yet Jayson had other thins crawling up his brain other than the finals. His mind kept flashing back to what Keal accused him of. Was it possible..?

Maybe it was. That would explain how his skin had crawled. 

Michi had been dating her brother. But she did’t know. Does it matter? Voices echoed in his head. He ducked his head between his legs and rubbed the bridge of his nose. In a second, Myk was sitting right beside him, buttoning up his jacket. He wrapped an arm around Jayson. 

“Rumor has it I’m holding on to the next MVP of this year’s games,” Myk declared with a sly smile. “You’re gonna get a girlfriend after this.”

Jayson shrugged Myk off him as he zipped up his duffel and stood up to follow his exiting teammates. 

“You know that thing about rumors? They know more about you and you yourself do.” 

Myk stood up and offered him a grimace. “Where’d you get that from? Tumblr?”

“You got a Tumblr account?” Trevor looked back. 

“’greatgodmyk’,” Myk arched his brows. “Follow me. I follow lots of good yoga blogs, and I’ll send the link over to you.”

Rhap turned, his face horror struck. 

“That is so gay,” Cam frowned at Trevor.

“You saying that makes you sound so gay.” 

Rhap slumped his shoulders. “Ladies, please.” Rhap headed for the exit and nodded. The Black Eagles were entering, lead by Rayyn Wu. He returned Rhap’s nod and headed for the bench. He glared at Jayson on his way. Keal was following closely behind. He returned to Jayson’s thoughts. And as they passed each other, Keal paused.

“I’ll talk to you after the game,” he whispered, then kept walking.

Jayson took a deep breath. “Let’s get over it, then.” 

- - - - - 

The Red Dragons watched from the bleachers as Drake Kniles hit the floor, knee first. Rayyn does three pointers, he doesn’t do dunks. But Rayyn Wu was hanging from the hoop. With a pass from Keal, Rayyn scored the last point that secured their spot in the finals. A deafening hush fell on the stadium as Rayyn landed on the court. He turned to where the  Red Dragons where and locked his glare with Jayson. He ran his thumb across his neck. And the crowd went wild. 112-111 - The Red Dragons are up against the Black Eagles.