17. The rebellion begins

Start from the beginning

 “No, I agree, we’ve gone past the stage where we can just learn things out of books”‘ said Hermione. “We need a teacher, a proper one, who can show us how to use the spells and correct us if we’re going wrong.” 

 “Are you on about my Dad?" Gennie asked curiously.

 “No, no, I’m not talking about Lupin,” said Hermione. “He’s too busy with the Order and, anyway, the most we could see him is during Hogsmeade weekends and that’s not nearly often enough.” 

 “Who, then?” said Harry, frowning at her. 

 Hermione heaved a very deep sigh. 

 “Isn’t it obvious?” she said. “I’m talking about you, Harry.” 

  “About me what?” said Harry. 

 “She's talking about you teaching us Defense Against the Dark Arts.” I told him firmly. "I agreed with her as well."

 I expected Ron and Cole to exchange a look they often did when far-fetched ideas popped up. But instead they both looked curious.

Then he said, “That’s an idea.” 

 “What’s an idea?” said Harry. 

 “You,” said Ron. “Teaching us to do it.” 

 “But…” Harry was grinning, clearly thinking this was a joke. “But I’m not a teacher, I can’t -” 

 “Harry, you’re the best in the year at Defense Against the Dark Arts,” said Hermione.

 “Me?” said Harry, now grinning more broadly than ever. “No I’m not, you’ve beaten me in every test -” 

 “Actually, I haven’t,” said Hermione coolly. “You beat me in our third year - the only year we both sat the test and had a teacher who actually knew the subject. But I’m not talking about test results, Harry. Think what you’ve done!” 

 “How d’you mean?” 

 “You know what, I’m not sure I want someone this stupid teaching me,” Cole said to Hermione, smirking slightly. 

Gennie rolled her eyes. “Let’s think,” she said, pulling a face like Goyle concentrating. “Uh… first year - you saved the Philosopher’s Stone from Voldemort” 

 “But that was luck,” said Harry, “it wasn’t skill. Plus you helped me with the key challenge, Gen.” 

 “Second year,” Ron interrupted, “you killed the Basilisk and destroyed Riddle.” 

 “Yeah, but if Fawkes hadn’t turned up, I -” 

 “Third year,” said Cole louder, “you fought off about a hundred Dementors at once -” 

 “You know that was a fluke, if  Rory or the Time-Turner hadn’t -” 

 “Last year,” I said, almost shouting now, “you fought off Voldemort again-” 

 “Listen to me!” said Harry, almost angrily, because we were smirking now. “Just listen to me, all right? It sounds great when you say it like that, but all that stuff was luck - I didn’t know what I was doing half the time, I didn’t plan any of it, I just did whatever I could think of, and I nearly always had help -” 

"Yeah, but you're still a hero." I said quietly, with a small smile.

“Don’t sit there grinning like you know better than I do, I was there, wasn’t I?” he said heatedly. “I know what went on, all right? And I didn’t get through any of that because I was brilliant at Defense Against the Dark Arts, I got through it all because - because help came at the right time, or because I guessed right - but I just blundered through it all, I didn’t have a clue what I was doing - STOP LAUGHING!”